Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Evets
Casual Contributor

Private schools and mental illness

Are there any carers out there whose son or daughter has been excluded from their private school?

Last year, my son was excluded from his private school at the end of Year 11 due to an issue related to his illness (schizoaffective disorder). This was never put in writing and the school did very little to try to find him another school for Year 12. He was eventually forced to go to TAFE to complete his HSC. During this extremely traumatic time, the Headmaster himself never got involved with my son's exclusion and never contacted us at all, even just to say "goodbye".

I'm starting to think that my son is alone in experiencing this.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Private schools and mental illness

Hi Evets,

Adolescence is tough enough as is yet alone with MH issues, and schooling problems. I can't recall of members on this forum who have had specific issues with schools excluding students on the basis of MH concerns, and I am not aware of school being able to discriminate on such a basis. I'm not sure what state you are in but it may be helpful to look into what your son's rights are as student by approaching the education board in your state.

It sounds like an isolating experience for your son. Is he linked in with services for MH? Reach Out in an online forum service that provides support to young people. He may also Kids Helpline a useful, they provide support to young people aged up to 25 years of age. If you tell me what state you are in, I could potentially provide more referrals.

@PeppiPatty , @RCH @Arwen  I understand that you have a son/daughter with MH issues. Did you face any difficulties with schooling? What are your thoughts/advice for Evets?

Thanks,

CherryBomb

Hi CherryBomb,

I should have mentioned that my son started to make a good recovery after his exclusion, thanks mainly to the excellent ongoing care of his psychiatrist. (Despite this, the school refused to take him back, which devastated him as he is very academic.) We are in NSW (Sydney), and my son was linked in with Headspace which he found helpful. 

I'm also considering writing a letter expressing my dissatisfaction to the Chairman of the school council. I suspect that the Headmaster and his teachers have concealed my son's case from the council, instead hoping that we would just quietly disappear from the school.

Thanks,

Evets

Hi Evets

I'm sorry I didnt see this post earlier, and fingers crossed for the HSC results.  Did you also apply for the ATAR bonus points scheme because of his illness (sorry I cant remember the name) but you can still apply till January

We had the opposite experience to you as our private school was very accomodating, but the problem wasnt with the child, but my husband.  

I would 100% write to the Chairman and, as our principal said to me when I applied for hardship, 'dont sugar coat it'.

If necessary, get the psych to write a letter as well.

Get annoyed and dont go quietly - with mental illness so prevalent - what will happen to the next child?

zz

Hi zipper,

Thanks for your good wishes for my son's HSC. We are applying for the ATAR bonus points (submitting the forms this week).

I've found out that the Chairman is a lawyer - one of his specialities being discrimination - so I'm feeling a bit intimidated about writing to him!

I'm also considering contacting the NSW Minister for Education, as he has been critical of this school earlier this year. (You can probably guess which school it is!)

Regards,

Evets

Hi Evets

I would still bring it to the Chairman first.  As discrimination is his 'thing' he should understand BUT I would send it by snail mail so it is noted in the records that it has been received

Take the emotion out of it and state the facts.  Maybe in point form?  

I think the Minister will only revert you back to the school.  You have to go through the process, if the school doen't answer then maybe the Independent Schools but you will have to show that the school has ignored your letters and your concerns

If we don't stand up for our loved ones who will?  BUT saying that sometimes it may be best to walk away with your head high and don't look back - look to the bright future that lay ahead 🙂

zz

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance