Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Lincolnsmummy
Casual Contributor

Pregnant and depressed with a toddler

I'm struggling today and finding a lack of support from my usually supportive husband who is having a difficult week at work. I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my second. Have an almost 2 and half year old who is a burning ball of energy. I've started on antidepressants with help from my doctor. The last few weeks I seem to have leveled out with out so many ups and downs but this last week I feel like I've slipped back. We just put my son into a big bed and he's challenging it as expected but I'm exhausted. Yesterday I felt brace and took him for a walk with him riding a balance bike for the first time, it was a success and I felt good. But today he woke early wouldn't go back to sleep and I'm tired. Right from the get go I've not felt like engaging him and he picks up on this. He acts out when I'm feeling like this and I know it's because he picks up on what I'm going though. I can't stop crying, just want to rest, no idea what to do with him, the weather is crappy and all my family are working. There's so much I need/want to do and I have zero motivation. Has anyone else experienced depression in pregnancy? I feel like there's no way I can handle another baby with the way I'm feeling

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Pregnant and depressed with a toddler

Hi @Lincolnsmummy and welcome.

Sorry to hear things are as tough as they sound at the moment. Pregnancy can be such a hard time, and having a 2 and a half year old as well is a big load! I had a similar gap between two of mine and it was a struggle at times. The tiredness, sickness, discomfort, hormones etc that can come with pregnancy, plus the responsibility of looking after a 'ball of energy' (2 1/2 olds can be so full on) - it's a hard mix. There were so many days that all I wanted to do was rest, and that was the last thing that the little person/people in the house wanted to do.

I think there are lots of women who find themselves struggling through it, and lots (myself included) who questioned how they would cope once a baby arrived.

Have you ever spoken with PANDA before? They helped me a few times when I was struggling.

As you said, it can be so up and down, and I think it's really important to remember that it's ok not to feel like running around and doing everything you usually would/would like to. It's also ok to what you need to get through. (We spent so much time in the bath together as it was a guaranteed way of me being able to sit for a while without needing to chase a little one around, as an example).

Does he have a sleep during the day, or will he have some down time in the afternoon?

Hi @Lincolnsmummy, Welcome to Forum LandSmiley Happy

I don't have children so I'm not going to pretend to have the slightest idea how tough it must be. @CheerBear is definitely much more clued in about raising little people than I am! However, I wanted to drop by and let you know that I've read your post and I'm really feeling for you in your exhaustion. I hope you are able to feel supported here in Forum Land.

Thank you for your replies ladies. It all culminated in a very upset phone call to my hubby who came home to help. When I have my down days it just feels like my coping skills and energy are gone and I cannot deal effectively with my little man. I got some time to rest when he did finally sleep and hubby took him to run errand when he got home this afternoon. So a bit of peace had me thinking a bit clearer.

Good morning @Lincolnsmummy

It's great to hear that you got some rest and were able to feel a little better last night. Calling your husband and letting him know you were having a hard time yesterday sounds like a really good thing to have done.

Have you got much on for today?

(By the way, if you reply with an @ symbol in front of a user's name, they'll be notified of your reply)

Hope today is a little better for you. If it isn't (and if it is), it would be nice to hear from you again if you feel like posting.

Hi @CheerBear
Thanks so much for your reply. Woke up feeling much better this morning!
We had a nice morning with swimming lessons and fun at the pool. Have also got a family friend over as she is on school holidays so nice to have someone around.
thank you so much for your help again!

So great to hear @Lincolnsmummy ☺!

Hopefully the swimming and the extra person around will help to have tired him enough that he sleeps well tonight (crossing fingers for you!).

Some rest and some company sounds like they've help lift you up a bit 😊 Good to hear.

@Lincolnsmummy hi!
I hope you are finding a way to cope. I am in the early stages of my first pregnancy, which was unplanned but we are keeping it.
Like you, my partner is usually very supportive but the past couple days he has been very closed off. I am finding it very hard to cope, nobody tells you hope to deal with the change you body is going through.
I can’t stop crying, I am not hungry and I have no desire to have sex. All of which are completely unlike me! My doctor says enjoy this time and everyone seems to be excited and telling me this is the best time of my life.
But it doesn’t feel that way.
I am glad that your son brings so much joy to you, it gives me faith that I am doing the right thing.
I wish there was better support for struggling pregnant women, and also men who are supporting pregnant women. God only knows how scared my partner must be when I am crying on him!

Hi @ScaredPanda13!
Thanks for your reply. Relationships can definately be tested during pregnancy and most definately once bub arrives. Please know the first trimester brings big changes for you, it's ok to feel out of your comfort zone. I struggled through my first trimester both times. But I found once I got into my second trimester and started to feel more myself I enjoyed the time much more. Don't feel like you have to connect with your journey right away! Also cut your body some slack, it's absolutely incredible the changes your body is making and how it recovers afterwards! As for your partner if you explain to him how you are feeling and what he can do to help. Hope you are feeling better very soon! Well done in reaching out!

Hi @ScaredPanda13

Welcome to the Forums! I just thought I'd drop in and let you know that PANDA, the organisation mentioned above, also provide support during pregnancy. They have lots of online resources and a helpline.

https://www.panda.org.au/

All the best!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance