Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Clouded
Casual Contributor

Post Natal Depression and Anxiety

Reaching out for some comfort and empathy.

Had my first baby 2 weeks ago today. My world turned from certainty and strength to vulnerable, foggy uncertainty. Not what I expected this experience to look or feel like.

I've been put on meds by my psychiatrist. Has me feeling detached from my feelings but at least I'm not in the danger zone. 

Thanks to anyone who reads and replies. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Post Natal Depression and Anxiety

Hey @Clouded,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry that this is such a vulnerable time for you and your first baby. You are definitely not alone. Post-natal anxiety and depression are very common, and you deserve lots of love, nurturing, and support to get through it. 

It is fantastic you have reached out here and let us know a bit about you. I thought you might be interested in this faciliated discussion we had last year on transitions to parenthood and mental health. It was facilitated by PANDA - Perinatal Anxiety and Depression Australia, who are pretty amazing and have a great helpline if you want to reach out there too: 1300 726 306 (9am - 7.30pm Monday to Friday AEST). 

I'll let other members jump in now, take care 🌻

Hi @Clouded welcome to the forum. You will find lots of friendly supportive people here who will always listen and show you empathy.

congrstulations on your first baby and welcome to parenthood. You are not alone in feeling uncertain and vulnerable.

Expecting our first babies can be the most exciting thing ever but bringing them home can be the most overwhelming.

Do you have support..partner, mother, sister, girlfriends? Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

New babies, though tiny can mean a lot of hard  work with little in return except exhaustion.

Be kind to yourself. I totally understand as I really struggled with post natal depression and found it hard to bond with my baby even when he started looking at me with his adorable smile. Take each day as it comes, stay in touch with your doctor and this rocky start will pass.

Reach out anytime.

💙🧡💙

Hi @Clouded . Congratulations on your new baby. It's such a huge time of change.

I had really bad PND, so i understand how you feel. It's great that you have come to the forums for support.

I echo the recommendation of PANDA. I called them when I was really low, and they really helped me. There was absolutely no judgement.

Have you been assigned to a community health service, or do you have on in your area? The community health nurses were a big source of support and advice for me in the early days.

I hope your doing ok x

Many thanks for your reply. The link was very useful thank you.

I have been in touch with CAFHS and various other people, but because I am seeing a private psychologist and psychiatrist they're happy for me to do that without them. Thank you for the PANDA resource as well. A nurse from the hospital gave me their details too. 

Hello 'Clouded'. *Congratulations* on the massively life-creating, life-changing effort, you have accomplished, by creating an entirely new human being, and giving birth! Nothing compares to that, in lots of ways! One of those ways, is that your experience and perception of yourSELF has changed in a permanent, unavoidable way. It's a massive transition to make, from 'me' to lifelong mother. It might be exciting or fulfilling (for some), but it's also threatening and "scary as ...."! I feel like what you are expressing is a perfectly reasonable response, to the huge life event you are experiencing... Be patient with yourself and your life upheaval. I hope you have people around you, who support you, while you make this massive life adjustment?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance