Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Lee82
Senior Contributor

Hi, this is my first time being a part of any type of forum. I am a little unsure and anxious about it. I have joined up hoping to get some support and to meet new people who perhaps share the same things I do and can understand my state of mind. 
3 things about me:

I am a single parent to 2 boys

I love to read

I love summer 

26 REPLIES 26
Zoe7
Community Guide

Re: Newbie

Hey @Lee82 and welcome to the forum. It can take a little time to work your way around but you are amongst a wonderful community here who are very supportive of each other. Have a look around some threads and ask any questions you may have. Smiley Happy 

Lee82
Senior Contributor

Thank you so much Zoe7. I appreciate your response 

Hey @Lee82 You are up late also - it can be a difficult time for many. I am watching ABC and of course on here. Not sure when I will finally be able to get some sleep but keeping occupied for now. What are you up to?

Lee82
Senior Contributor

I am also watching tv. Can't sleep which has been a recurring theme atm. My mind just won't shut off and my body is riddeled with anxiety. 

Been there myself @Lee82 It makes it really hard to get any sort of rest let alone sleep when anxiety is through the roof and thoughts are racing. For a very long time I just could not sleep but luckily with meds and ongoing support that has improved. Are there any things you have found that help?

Lee82
Senior Contributor

Not really. I am too on meds but find that they dont help much.i have been through a few different ones but now my psychiatrist just keeps putting the dose up.
 What do you find helps when you can't sleep. I have tried a few things in the past but most of the time they just make me more anxious. 

Hi @Lee82, and @Zoe7 

I also find it hard to sleep lately @Lee82, especially since carona started at the same time as my sons asthma season which has been pretty bad the last two days but i am still able to manage it at home for now dont know what im gonna do when he needs a dr really dont want him out of the house

It took nearly 2 years for my team and I to finally find the right meds, combinations and dosages that worked @Lee82 That made a significant difference - especialy in reducing nightmares and flashbacks and allowing me to get some sleep. I also had so much support here on the forum - many people helping me through, staying up late and providing a little hope when I could not see any - that made the world of difference to me. It really was the meds that helped me and now when I can't sleep I try not to stress about it - harder said than done when it is a continual pattern though. None of the usual mindfulness or meditations have ever worked for me - some have infact made it worse but we are all different so maybe worth a try.

Lee82
Senior Contributor

Hi @Define_normal 

@I'm sorry to hear your son is suffering from asthma. My 8 year old son also suffers from asthma. He is starting to cough a little at night and I understand the anxiety around going to the doctors during this difficult time. I too feel anxious about going to the doctors. Maybe a phone call to your local GP would be an option. Maybe you can speak to your doctor over the phone. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance