Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

PlantLady
Contributor

New here :) I'm 21 and my partner has Schizophrenia

Hi all, I'm new here and so glad to have found this forum.

I'm 21 and my partner of 4 years is 22. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia almost a year ago and is currently being supported by a great team of doctors and mental health professionals. 

As his situation has somewhat stabilised, I'm realising now how far he's come, and also what our future may potentially look like. I'm also becoming aware of my own mental health too. 

I've already taken so much from reading everyone's posts, and really appreciate everyone sharing their stories so openly and honestly. I'm hoping to talk to some people in the same or a similar situation to myself, as I haven't had luck in my local area and support groups I've attended. 

I look forward to hearing your journey so far and getting/giving advice. 

Peace and Love, 

PlantLady xx

19 REPLIES 19

Re: New here :) I'm 21 and my partner has Schizophrenia

Welcome @PlantLady Smiley Happy

Thanks for sharing your story! It's great to hear your partner has a good support team (alongside yourself, of course).How are you doing? Often as a carer for a partner, we can forget our own emotions may get a bit frazzled at times, so if you feel like some tips on monitoring and managing your own wellbeing, check out the Looking After Ourselves threads. Everyone here is at different stages or has different experiences, but you'll find we're all pretty friendly and happy to listen or offer help where possible Heart

Hello @PlantLady 

Yes there is a lot of grief in a diagnosis and coming to terms with our new reality can be quite emotional.  Looking after our own mental (+ physical) health is a priority to help us cope with the demands of loving someone with a chronic condition. 

Hi @Alli11 , thank you for the tip.

I'll have to check out the Looking After Ourselves threads Smiley Happy 

I've also recently started receiving counselling for myself at Helping Minds , which has been amazing as they offer a lot of help and support for those with friends and family with mental illnesses. It's a great resource that I would recommend for anyone in a similar position to myself, especially as some of the services they offer are free, or they can direct you to free or low cost services.

Thank you again Heart

Hi .@Darcy. 

Thank you for your support Smiley Happy 

My own health is definitely something I put aside when my partner was first diagnosed.

I see now that for us to be happy and living fulfilled lives, we both need to be aware of our own health. I am very lucky that my partner is understanding and we often check-in with each other to talk about how each of us is feeling. 

I'm still working out what makes me feel happy and gives me meaning in life, but that's ok, with counselling I feel like I'm working towards that. Smiley Happy

Thank you Heart 

Lovely you have been able to get some support @PlantLady, even with an understanding partner it can be a tough gig, especially when our loved ones are unwell (I too am fortunate that Mr Darcy is considerate). 

lovely to see you here @PlantLady Heart

we are here for you xx

Hello @Ali11 , @Former-Member 

@PlantLady 

Checking in to see how you are going.

There is "Topic Tuesday" relating to being a carer that might be of interest to you - the info about it

here

Hi @PlantLady 

I’m in a very similar boat - my partner of almost 5 years was diagnosed as schizophrenic about 5 months ago. We are both 22. 

Its comforting to find someone in the same situation, I would love to chat more with you. 

-tictac 

How are you going @Tictac  @PlantLady 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance