Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tatsinda
Senior Contributor

Need help, not sure what to do

I posted the other day about my husband with depression. Today he was very uptight after work and quite negative, saying everything he does breaks etc. he had a bad run around tea time where a few things went wrong (dropped a sauce bottle, cat hurt his hand, stepped in food on floor) and it basically ended with him slamming something sharp into the counter top. I yelled at him to put it down, that it wasn't on etc and he has now basically retreated into himself and is lying in bed, either asleep or pretending to be asleep. Meanwhile I am trying to run a normal evening for the kids. <br>I really don't know what to do. His behaviour is crossing a line massively for me, and I'm really disappointed he let himself get to that point. Also makes me feel unsafe and unsure about leaving the kids with him. <br>I'm thinking perhaps its the time to insist he starts daily exercise, to bring the stress levels down. And perhaps his meds need a review. Far out. Any wise words for me???

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Need help, not sure what to do

Hi Tatsinda,
I can hear your concern and frustration with the situation.
It is hard work remaining on an even keel when someone else is going off course.
I think you have some great ideas re exercise..and it might be something you can suggest to him when he is calmer.
The Witching Hour for young families is usually around dinner time, tired frazzled kids and tired frazzled partners do not make for a relaxing evening..

Maybe you might be able to suggest he either dies the cooking, lay the table so you can bathe kids etc or could he burn off some energy playing outside with the kids if that would work? Or bathe them?
Because, regardless of his challenges, he still needs to think about being a loving dad and how that can happen in small ways every day..

Ring his psych yourself and ask for an appointment because this kind of stressful environment isn't great for any if you..it will get better but it will take time. Can he join a peer support group? He may be overwhelmed by her a responsibilities. Sometimes you need a peer space to explore how to change things. Grow might run a group in your area, or MIF..ask your friendly local neighbour hood house or librarian. They are a great source for group s. Even a Men's Shed might be just the ticket..

Thanks for replying, I hadn't thought of peer groups, will see what is around our area. I know there is a men's shed nearby. I have told him he needs to build exercise into his daily routine starting tomorrow so we'll see how that goes! Something has to change as I can't keep carrying on with the unpredictability of things.

Hi Tatsinda,

Really hard situation you are in there. Must be so difficult putting on a brave face for the kids while all this is happening around you. If you feel unsafe, you really need someone you can talk to. Do you have any friends that you could call, or is it possible someone could come over there?

There's also a good telephone counselling line from the Salvos - 1300 36 36 22. They are trained counsellors who are a vailable to talk to you 24 hours per day.

I wonder if anyone else has some advice for Tatsinda? @Alessandra1992  you are fatastic as usual!!! 

Hobbit.

Hi Tatsinda, I'm not sure where you live but was wondering if you had considered a support group for yourself.

In Victoria you can contact the Mind Carer helpline 1300 550 265. They have a database of support groups and other resources for Carers (I prefer to call myself a supporter!). I have had carer counselling and personally had great benefit from it.

I also attended the Carer workshops which are part of Mind's Recovery college. There are 3 workshops, including Hope and Recovery, Challenging Behaviours and Carer Resilience and they are all presented by carers. All are free of charge and can be booked through the Helpline.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys just updating this. Hobbit, I do have friends I can call on if I really need to, thankfully. I have been thinking I could use a support group for myself, or a return to counselling as we do seem to be going through quite a rough patch and I find it so hard to figure out what to do.
I wonder if its an end of week thing - he bumped his head this evening and it made him lose his temper and slam a few doors, and then retreat again - fairly similar to last week. I guess he is trying so hard to hold it all together and eventually something sets him off. I am really sick of living with it at the moment, so stressful and I find any sign of him being stressed makes me panic a bit. He did agree after last week to get regular exercise and he has gone for three walks over the week, which sounds good but each time he took one of our kids with him and it was more of a gentle stroll, plus I think he really needs to go for a proper walk every day of the week until he calms down! Still, I guess he is trying and I am thankful for that. I know I probably sound a little harsh but it's been going on for so long, i am more than ready for him to just take getting well more seriously.

Hi Tatsinda,

Me again. I hadn't read your earlier posts when I responded to the one about the impact of a parent with depression. It sounds like things are getting pretty hellish there at times. Not good for the kids or you, or hubby either to be honest. Most likely he will be mentally beating himself up for it if he has any self-insight.

Has he checked out the LE forum? He might find that a help too. 

I can relate to some of what you describe because it sounds like my former partner when he's unwell. If i need to intervene immediately I'll ask him to stop or leave the room. Otherwise these days I wait until I've calmed down myself and then I tell him: we care about him but his behaviour is inappropriate, we experience it as abusive and it needs to stop - and I am very specific about what behaviour, and what he needs to do instead (eg. feeling like an angry outburst then go for a walk). I know he doesn't want or mean to be abusive, he just gets so triggered with his PTSD he can't see it (which I can relate to as I have it too).

By now you're thinking this sounds very simple, but it's not at all - and you are right. Nor is it easy as it takes a lot of love and courage. But it does get a little easier each time, and this setting very clear firm boundaries for him works for me. You might even need to send the kids off to a friend or relative for a few hours so you have uninterrupted time to talk without worrying so much about his reaction or them overhearing.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. take care.

Kind regards,

Kristin

Hello Tatsinda,
My first contribution on here so let's see how I go!

Something I often lost sight of is that we are carers, and that makes us feel frustrated and helpless at times. And it's okay, and perfectly understandable, to feel that way.

It's important to understand your loved one, and have empathy for them also. It sounds like he is having a rough time too, and I know it's easier said than done, if you can pause and think about how you react to something, you can make the best decision. You could follow him after he slams a door, and yell at him about his behaviour. You could ignore him and hope he cools down, and go on about your business with the kids. Or you could go into the bedroom, and give him a hug or a kiss, and not say anything.

I guess it's important to remember he doesn't want to act like that, he'd rather not be feeling so overwhelmed that he slams things down or shuts doors loudly.

It's a definite positive that he has started exercising. And even if it is a stroll, spending some alone time with one of your children would be therapeutic for the mind, if not doing much for his fitness physically. Have you told him you've noticed he's making an effort and thanked him? Some gentle positive reinforcement may encourage him to go more often, or add in some jogging.

I know this sounds all about him, and in some ways when he is in this frame of mind, it has to be. Choose your moments to discuss things of importance. If he's had a good say, or you're watching a funny TV show, or you've had some quality time together.. He is more likely to positively responding and having empathy for how you're feeling. The sad truth is that when he is really down, he probably won't be capable of showing empathy or understanding consequences of his actions on you or the kids.

Finally, your own health is important, and you're more likely to respond with compassion and empathy if you're in a better frame of mind. Support groups, online forums, sometimes even blogging anonymously can be great ways of getting things off your chest, knowing you're not alone, seeking advice.. Thats much more beneficial for you and your relationship.

My ex has BPD and depression, and I know it can take a huge toll on us as carers too. It's not easy. Look after yourself, try to remember why you love this person, and have some understanding of what he is feeling.. Know you can't change him. Control the controllable, which is your reactions, your boundaries, and your part in the relationship. It's important to direct your energy to where you can effect change! I hope this has helped, remember you're doing a great job under tough circumstances - keep up the good work 🙂

@BananaHammock !

Welcome to the forums. Smiley Very Happy

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your first contribution.

I hope to 'see' more of you around.

CB

P.S It's Carers Week, so this week we're having a special Topic Tuesday, that addresses issues faced by carers with our moderator. Might be a good opportunity to 'meet' and share experiences with other carers like yourself.

Hope to see you there! 

Hi Tatsinda,

Just thought I would write a quick note to see how things are?

On reading all these posts, something that I would like to remind you of is @BananaHammock 's last line in the previous post - ' remember you're doing a great job under tough circumstances - keep up the good work". Thanks @BananaHammock 

@Tatsinda , let us all know how you are doing

Hobbit

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance