Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Krishna
Senior Contributor

My girl now catatonic

I have finally been given carers status with the hospital my daughter is in. They rang Thursday night to inform me that she is in a catatonic state and being tube fed. I didn't think things could get any worse. Her bloods also revealed she has been using methamphetamene and cannabis. No response to any stimuli not even my voice. What has/will become of my beautiful girl. Having to wait until Monday afternoon to speak to her psychiatrist is excruciating. I waited all day Friday for him to return my call and after the final call to the hospital was told he'd left for the day. Her nurses have been amazing, supportive and compassionate. Waiting waiting heartbroken and waiting for signs of recovery. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: My girl now catatonic

Hi @Krishna 

I am really sorry about your daughter - that has to be a terrible loss for you - and to see her catatonic must be heart-breaking - I cannot imagine what this is like

My son went right off the rails in his teens and that was the end of his story - and it is really hard to have that happen - it was a suicide and yet 

When I read your post I was deeply touched - I thought having him die was the worse thing but right now I think not - 

God bless you - how I wish there was something helpful I could say but there isn't and I know this very well - 

Dec:Heart

Such heartbreak you have suffered. Visiting my daughter yesterday singing to her, washing her and just being mum and no response. I'm numb. Tribunal today advised they will keep her for 3 months minimum and will be starting electroconvulsive therapy on Friday. After all these tumultuous years I didn't think things could get any worse. Trying to remain hopeful that there will be an improvement but her mental health has declined so rapidly. Don't know what to cling to at the moment. I'm so very very sorry for your loss.

@Owlunar ❤️

And I am sorry for your loss @Krishna 

Yes - your daughter is still with you - and at the same time most of what she was has gone

And you have agonizing choices to make

Sending my love and best thoughtsHeart

Dec

Hi @Krishna , 
I am very sorry to hear what has been going on with your daughter. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for you. Sending lots of love and hopes to both of you 💐 ☀️ 

In additional to the forums, have you had a chance to chat with someone about what has been happening? 🌻  If you're feeling up for it, I want to encourage you to reach out to our wonderful counsellors at the SANE Help Centre. They are available Monday to Friday (10am to 10pm) via phone or chat. 

(I have moved your thread to the Carers 'Our Stories' part of the forums where it might be more easily found by the community) 

Thanks @Peonies. I've just booked a call with SANE counsellors to have a chat on Monday. Feeling very low sad and depleted after this ongoing situation. My girl is no longer catatonic but her schizophrenia has worsened and still won't communicate with me at any level. Hospital are ready to discharge her pending accommodation and she is refusing to accept the temporary housing they can make available but she simply has nowhere else to go. Social worker is advocating for her to stay longer but in the end is doctors decision. Feel so utterly sad for her situation and it certainly is overwhelming me at present.,So thank you for the suggestion and hoping help for my own headspace is at hand.

All I can offer is a big mama bear 🐻 hug 🤗 

I hope you have some friends for social support @Krishna 

❤️😢❤️

Thank you xx
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance