Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

gstar23
New Contributor

My family member has been accused of sa

Hi..I work in the sexual assault field. I found out today that my father has assaulted a family friend and has been confronted about it. The person is over age and not at risk of harm or in any immediate danger. 

I'm really struggling with working in this space and now knowing that my own father is a perpetrator. I don't know how to reconcile it, I just feel sick and wish so badly I wasn't related to him.

I really need to find a support group. Does anyone know if anything like this exists? Support group for family of people who use sexual violence?

I have a counsellor I will book in to see, but I need a peer group.

Any help would be great, it's a lot to deal with.

1 REPLY 1

Re: My family member has been accused of sa

hi @gstar23 

You are you and not your father.

Unfortunately there will be people who will judge the family.

People do that

People find it hard to realise we all have a free choice and because one family member is a certain way, it does not mean all are.

Working in the field should help you see how easy it is to be a victim as you are surprised by your fathers actions.

You are not responsible.

And it is good you were not a victim too.

What you are going through should only strengthen you and increase a new awareness of sympathy / empathy

You are not your father.

Parents bring us up a certain way. We often drift from any bad influence and keep the good influence

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance