Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LFS
Senior Contributor

My experiences with my mental health

Hi I haven't been on here in a while, and thought I'd give the forums a try again.

I have been experiencing a lot of stigma from other people towards me beause of my mental health which can be very distressing. I can barely do any work because of my mental health and people go and say very nasty things about me because of it.

People see I behave a bit differently, because of my mental illnesses and treat me badly because of it.

Any idea's in dealing with these issue's would be very much appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: My experiences with my mental health

Welcome back @LFS

there are many conversations on stigma on the forums, feel free to use the subject search bar above to read those that interest you.

I found this conversation started by @chemonro which might interest you to start with here;

http://www.saneforums.org/t5/What-s-new-services-research-and/How-explanations-of-mental-illness-aff...

as you will soon discover you are not alone in your experience, sadlySmiley Sad

Re: My experiences with my mental health

Hello @LFS

I keep trying to deal with stigma .. not for myself generally .. but even on a general level ... I have to work hard EVERY WEEK to try and encourage a bit more acceptance and tolerance in my daily interactions.

Dont give up though ... GRADUALLY it has been getting better ...

I try and do it with humour ... good manners and patient analysis ... poetry .. and with music ... its important it needs to be done.

Partly I also push back a bit to level thins and get some reciprocity ... but you have to be really careful if you are at all vulnerable.

Good Luck with it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance