Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Nellie
New Contributor

Menopause & depression

Having had a breakdown about 18 yrs ago and slowly over that time endured panic attacks, anxiety & depression finally thought had successfully got most of me back but then menopause hit and for the last 3 years have had a rollercoaster of ups and downs depression has anyone else had this....been on hrt didn't work went back on antidepressants didn't work now my marriage is suffering anyone have any ideas

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Menopause & depression

Hello @Nellie

Welcome to the Forums 🙂

Wow, it sounds like the last 3 years have been really hard on you, and that menopause has been interfering with what sounds like a very positive recovery journey.

I'm amazed that you learned to manage the panic attacks, anxiety and depression that followed your breakdown 18 years ago - I'm curious to know, how you were able to get yourself back?

On these Forums I'm sure you will find others who have experienced similar rollercoaster rides to you, who would have some support and ideas to offer.

@Eeyore, @peace and @Alessandra1992 had a discussion about the effects of menopause on mood here, perhaps they may have some insights to share? Also, if you would like more information on the effects of menopause you can call the Australian Menopause Centre on 1300 883 405.

Once again, welcome to the Forums Nellie, feel free to share more of your story if you would like.

Take care,

Shimmer

Hi @Nellie, welcome to the Forums.  Thanks for raising this issue.  How frustrating to have mostly stabilised and then finding yourself back on the roller-coaster!  I watched catalyst this week on the ABC which featured a type of exercise called high intensity interval training (HIIT).  It might be worth catching it on iView as it showed a study being done with menopausal women whose symptoms reduced using an HIIT protocol.  Now they were mostly talking about the physical symptoms but we all know how many psychological benefits also flow from exercise so I wonder if it would be worth a shot?

If I remember rightly they jumped on stationery bikes and fast for 8 seconds and then slowly for 12 and kept repeating this until they got to 8 minutes in total.  You'll really need to check that though as there were lots of different versions of HIIT presented.  In reality it may not matter which version you do (the reporter sprinted for 30 seconds and then rested for 2 minutes before repeating) as they are all likely to have a beneficial effect.  And the best part about HIIT is that the time commitment is minimal so no huge loss even if you don't receive the same benefits!

Just thought it worth mentioning.  I hope that others here in the Forums are also able add their thoughts as I'm sure it's a factor for some.

I havn't had menopause yet but have you considered seeing a Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner,Integrative Medicine G.P or Naturopath?

You can also self order (at a cost) hormone pathology tests but if your going to do that,order the blood tests and not saliva tests as saliva tests havn't been proven to be accurate.

Alternatively,you could see an Endocrinologist for tests but they are likely to be dismissive of your symptoms if you dont have also have any Endo type symptoms (eg:PCOS,dry skin,tremors,weight fluctuations etc) or prior Endo disorders such as Thyroid dysfunction.

Are you experiencing any physical symptoms also?

You might be interested in the below link too?

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/neurosteroids-and-psychiatric-disorders

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12420152

How sad for you. I personally was ecstatic when I hit menopause, as my cycle was always irregular and downright embarrassing.

Hi @Nellie - good to see you here, and so sorry the bio-chemical soup we live with is now causing more problems. I had a full hysterectomy and both ovaries out last year, instant menopause. I was on HRT for a few weeks but hated it, so came off it. I have been chucked about by the changes in hormones hugely.

I too saw the Catalyst programe mentioned - and while I am not a good candidate for the type of excercise mentioned - excercise generally really helps. I also find my hot flushes happen more after I have eaten a sweet or dessert - anything with a biggish sugar load too.

Lots of fresh fruit, veggies and water to keep the system working well has helped me.

My actual mood swings actually have lessened in intensity since going menopausal, since the op. I used to be a terror with PMT... So something good has come out of it for me. (and the people around me!).

Depression is a terrible thing, and I hope your partner and you find some solutions to living withthe syptoms. I hope you find some relief soon. 

Hi Nellie,

just realy wondering if you have a good doctor who you can trust to get you the help you need?

I found menopause a very difficult time to cope with and suffered from worse symptoms of bipolar during this time.

Depression is a creature of many colours and antdepressive medication, if needed can help so much. Keep trying till you find the medication that suits you

Hugs Gypsy

Like what you have said & feel the same
at times with panic feelings and loneliness.
Not easily overcome-want some suggestions, please. Bimbam
Former-Member
Not applicable

I would have to agree, hormones always exacerbated the anxiety depression & bpd with me. Antidepressant helps take the edge off & made me easier to live with, i'm told. Find one thats good for anxiety even ptsd. Once ya past that difficult premanapause its easier emotionally. Of cause diet, walking, relaxation & relationship time helps..Also try kelp & omega3s & time for you.

A naturopath or herbalist may be able to help A LOT.  There are a couple of herbs that work wonders for menopause that can be taken in liquid form and even a cream that can be rubbed on the abdomen.  N.B.  they really need to be dispensed by a qualified person not just purchased at the health food store.  I was really lucky and had almost no symptoms at all of menopause, but studied herbs in the past and know they can work.  Have known several people to be helped enormously.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance