Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Memories

Bugger @saltandpepper . Hope you get a good night's sleep 😴

hi @saltandpepper @Acacia @Anastasia @Emelia8 

I'm sorry everyone about last night. I'm not thinking. I'm struggling a bit but not sure what the main issue is.
 My granddaughter stayed the night and is up already and had breakfast. Yes she's an early bird!!! She's such a beautiful soul. Telling me so many times how much she loves me. She's such a sweetie. 
today I'll be ok as she's here and I'll take her to the park and Msybe a baby chino at the local cafe. 
I need distraction. I need to stay safe. 

Enjoy your day with your little human today, they make a world of difference hey? Hope today is good to you @BlueBay 

@Anastasia How did your boy go last night?

Enjoy your day @BlueBay it sounds lovely.

Don't be sorry, we're here for you sweetheart. I'm sorry things are tough at the moment 😔 hugs and love to you 🤗

@saltandpepper not good 😔

I'm concerned. Don't want to say too much in the fear I'll jinx :pile_of_poo: but got some messages from him to suggest he's not doing great. Even think maybe ulterior motive to go. He's quite cunning at times.  Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions...

My bf said last night out of the blue that he shouldn't have gone and that his heads all over the place! I don't see that. But now I'm second guessing, I hate this...

Thank you for asking sweet friend. How are you, are you ok?

@Emelia8 🌹

Ah shit @Anastasia is it his first night at his dads post hospital? Change of setting and not having you there probably going to shake him a bit. I mean whether he has ulterior motives or not, it doesn't mean anything will happen. Dad knows everything that's going on with him yeah? And he's got his brother there with him, that's good. There's going to be ups and downs no doubt, doesn't mean worse case scenario will happen though. He's going through a lot. Have you checked in with your other son to see what he thinks? They sound pretty close.

I disagree with the bf. I'm disagreeable like that. I think some semblance of a normal routine like visiting his dad is good. Not necessarily easy for anyone, but perhaps good. I also think you've been running non stop so it's important to get some down time. Think it's important that your son can see he has a wider support network than his mum. The more people he can lean on the better I reckon.

I'm sorry he had a rough night, I guess it's jumping the gun to expect anything else right now. He made it through the night, maybe that's the best we can hope for right now. And, he's still reaching out, he texted you, he's not withdrawing, that's important too.

Sending you a big hug my friend

Thank you @saltandpepper 🙏

Not sure if you get emails Em? If you didn't see my post the below will make no sense. It will If you receive emails.

As you can see I am a little paranoid, sorry. That's my own anxiety talking now. 

@Emelia8 

I did notice @saltandpepper that you didn't respond to my q...are you ok lovely?

Mm that makes it difficult. Im tempted to add him to my list now. I think it's important to communicate to your son that the responses and "help" he gets from his dad has nothing to do with your son and everything to do with his own issues. Perhaps he never got that validation from his own father--we tend to repeat behaviours... it's not nice, its not pleasant, but perhaps some clarity around the way his father responds to such sensitive issues would be helpful. Not defending the man at all, just for him to respond to his kid like that, there's gotta be something else going on there. People are complex.

Are you and the dad in a place where you can have an honest conversation about the impact his attitude has on your son? It's hard having conversations like that without it getting emotional though, but may be worth a try. I don't know, it's a tough one @Anastasia I can't say I know what a healthy relationship with parentals looks like really. I know my relationship with my Dad has changed a lot over the years. He's changed, I've changed. After his absence in my life, it took a long time for him to come around to having an honest conversation about all the pain he'd put me through. For a long time he'd dismiss it and not talk about any of it. That changed in time. Perhaps that can happen for your son and his dad one day too. I hope it does.

Perhaps when your sons come home it might be a good idea to do a bit of a debrief? Get everything out on the table and really talk through anything that may have come up while they were there. Are you comfortable having a conversation with both of your boys together? Having the other sons perspective might be helpful too?

I don't know. If they come back saying dad was a di*k then I guess having a conversation with him is needed. Sounds like your kids are old enough to decide whether they want dad around or not. The way he talks to them and supports them now, it's going to impact how much time they want to spend with him in future. A bit of a reality check never hurt anyone. Cause I mean if it comes down to it and seeing his dad is making it worse right now, might be something you have to put your foot down with.

Also, perhaps encouraging your son to speak up? Letting him know that the way dad is talking to him isn't ok? I know it's easier said than done but for his own sake, maybe telling dad he's not helping the situation and communicate how the dad can help would be good. He's his dad, I'd hope he'd want whats best for his boy, perhaps he just lacks the skill to effectively deal with the situation. Bit of guidance, bit of honesty, maybe it'll help?

I don't know, this perhaps isn't the time at all for dealing with things head on. But at some point, your son is going to need to deal with the reality of his relationship with his dad. Nothing is set in stone--I believe. But nothing can change if no one makes it clear that things need to change. I don't think the dad is being helpful at all, but I also don't think he would be intending to cause any harm. I think some people go through life repeating behaviours and things they learn from their parents, but it can change. If they're made aware of it. If he can sit with it, think about the impact his words are having on his son, and ask himself if it's helping or hurting.. I think he could do with a reality check, but if it doesn't change anything, helping your son to see he isn't at fault for the way his dad is behaving would be good. Your son isn't wrong to feel or think the things he does, and he does deserve the support he wants and needs from his dad. His dad is the one falling short, not him.

Dont know if any of that is helpful @Anastasia, I rambled. Soz.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance