Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Evie1
Senior Contributor

Marking myself

I marked my wirsts to let go of my anxiety it released me I felt guilty I got help via sane web chat I didn't break the skin but after I got play doh and played with it and it helped me feel better and i liked sqezzing the soft toy my worker gave me 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Marking myself

@Evie1 

anything really tactile is great for that.

Playdoh, dry sand to run through you fingers is lovely

google how to make home-made slime

my aspy step son stims with a sequin cushion I've got that you can rub the sequins in all directions and they change colour

excellent trick to short circuit other methods of release 

xoxo

Sounds like a great awareness you have. You are aware of your emotions and that self soothing by doing tactile stuff can be your thing to help yourself. I also have to watch that I don't form unhealthy habits to release anxiety. I pat the dog, have a shower, just go outside or walk around looking at tree tops and the sky. I get up and off my phone or computer. It usually helps. 😋

Here's some things I try when I feel like self harming, they might work for you too. 

- I put cayenne pepper on my tongue. Instead of the pain of my emotions i turn my focus to the pain of the cayenne pepper on my tongue

- If cayenne pepper is too much get a really sour lolly. I use warhead drops. It distracts me from my emotions. Or even a sour lemon would work.

Those are my positive ways, sometimes I go for the more negative way of distracting myself. But I hate this way and know I shouldn't be doing it. But at least It's better than self harming x

@PlantLover @HearU @SJT63 

I sometimes can't resist the urge and just need to release it but I feel very guilty about it 

I know we can feel guilty too easy if we set out to NOT do something for x, y, z reasons but we ended up doing it anyway. Can you think of those moments as past moments? You are clear of that moment now. It's been lived and you survived it. <--Not sure how helpful that all is. Sorry if I am not helping but I wanted to answer you so you know that I care about what you wrote. 

I get it @Evie1. x

What helped me the most was finding the right medication. Without it It's a huge struggle to resist the urge. The medication did wonders for me. Are you taking anything? Is it helping at all?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance