Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Living with PTSD (Potentially Triggering Material)

No need to respond on F and A @Former-Member  - you have enough of your own stuff to deal with right now and the focus needs to be on you and your safety. Heart

You say you don't have the strength to leave but honestly Hon it takes more strength to stay. I completely understand that feeling that you are stuck in a situation you can't get out of - it is never as easy as simply leaving and I know that as much as anyone in a simialr situation. It took me years to get out and it took for me to nearly die to be able to do that ...and in the end t wasn't me who left but he did. I then lived with the fear every day that he would come back but knowing that I would never have him back either ...that was because of the realisation (finally) that my life was in danger and although I often wish he had succeeded that night I was never going to allow him to have that control over me anymore. It was a complete switch in my thinking and took a near death experience to in a way shock me into thinking that way. That was not strength but survival. As you know such experiences change you - they are not something you come back from easily and take a long time to get over (if we ever do). So your strength Hon is in you surviving every day - there is no right or wrong here, leaving or staying - you alone know your circumstances and you alone has to deal with your own life ...no-one can judge you on those decisions as they do not know how hard it is to live your life or endure what you do ...so do not say you do not have strength Sherry becuse from where I sit you have strength in abundance ...strength and courage comes in many forms and you epitomise both ...those who say 'just leave' have no idea how hard that is or how strong that pull is from the control of the situation ...DV is consuming Hon Smiley Sad

@Former-Member 💜💜

I'm really sad for you @Former-Member 

@I'm thinking of you. I don't know what else to say 

love you my friend ❤️❤️🤗🤗

@Former-Member  💙💙💙

@Former-Member   very much hoping today is one of the better ones for you. 

I do understand how hard it can be to walk away.  It took me nearly 4 years to stop allowing him back into my life and that was after nearly doing me in and a long court case where he was given a suspended sentence.  I am not telling you what to do other than be as safe as you can each time there's an episode.    Sending support and care to you and hoping you are able to reach your psych today  xx

Hi @Former-Member 

Perhaps it takes more strength to stay - my marriage was sad rather than bad but I couldn't stand it a moment longer

And the funny part is that he came to visit me a while later and told me he didn't want to be married to me anymore - I just collapsed onto the floor laughing - I had been telling him for years I wanted a divorce - I just wanted to separate really

I am pretty sure you will get out when you are ready - it's not easy - I had to plan and save money and really think it through - 

So I don't think you are stupid or weak - just not ready - the day will come - I am sure - when you will get up and leave - until then - you have us

And I hope you are okay for a while - and start thinking about a different life - just plan something - let your mind work on it - and maybe you do have to stay because he needs you but - yeah - life does go on and we can never tell the future

Dec

Dear @Former-Member ,

you don’t keep going back for more that is not right.  You are married and have been together a long time.  I can never justify your husbands behaviour, but it is not easy to leave a marriage.  You have made a significant emotional and life investment in it and to leave is not just a matter to packing a bag and going.  People here understand all these complexities.  

I just feel so concerned for you.

i don’t post much as I feel I am just repeating the same pathetic stuff and don’t seem to move forward at all, but I get comfort from connecting with people here. You are one of them. 

Peri 

@Former-Member 

Sometimes I find Carer organisations helpful in finding the difference between caring and taking abuse.

Glad you are with us.

Heart

Smiley Happy

Hi @Former-Member 

I answered your post on Monday - 16th - here acknowledging that leaving a marriagge is a tricky business that needs a lot of thought and preparation - but such a thing is up to the individual and maybe it takes more strength to stay and if it's strength to stay I didn't have that - who knows which fork in the road is best - only the person themselves and maybe only in retrospect

Yesterday - 16th - was the anniversary of my son's adoption and I was writing in the forum that morning but I was busy in the afternoon - and very tired in the evening - it was never a day that was celebrated - that was what happened for his birthday two weeks before - but it has never been a day that was full of public anything - just private thoughts - so it dragged me down a bit and I spent today catching up with myself - getting ready for Christmas like other people - and I got a lot of small things at the pharmacy and the girl wrapped them for me which was so cool - I am not high on the parcel-wrapping honour roll - egad - I do have a few small things to wrap - but that was easy - 

Like everyone I am worried about BlueBay - I wish I could help and I have no doubt everyone else does too - she can't see how terrific she is - she just keeps going - and I think we can do that but she doesn't which is sad

I went to sleep early in the evening - so I am not in a hurry to go to bed yet although it's past midnight - you are such a kind and sensitive person and you do so much for your husband - I wish he appreciated you and what you do 

But that's life - I hope you get a good night's sleep and I will most likely catch up tomorrow

Dec

sherry.jpg@Former-Member 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance