Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Loneliness

@Jenn1 - Thank you soooooo much for posting! 

I really really really truly deep down appreciated your post so much. I used to live in a state of loneliness until I learnt that there were ways out of it. 

I used to think I was a wacky weirdo that no one wanted to hang around with. 

Today? I am still a wacky weirdo. But the difference is, I'm a happy wacky weirdo. I love thinking outside the box. I love being way out there. I love not being the 'norm' (whatever that is). 

I live alone, but I don't find myself lonely. If anything, I love spending time alone because I need it! 

I am so happy to hear that you have someone to chat with and that you push yourself to get out to help your mental health. I think that's where the hard work is. I used to 'give in' to my loneliness so that it consumed me. 

As I said, now, I love being alone because I actually no longer feel lonely. I get out during the day, then come home in the evenings for some 'me' time.

Once again, thank you for sharing what loneliness means to you, and how you've manage to 'tackle' some of that loneliness.

Thank you thank you thank you!

tyme

@tyme 

Thank you so much for your reply.  Thinking outside the box solves so many issues for me at times.  It can take me a long time to come up with solutions, but then they are usually good ones. 

I envy your ability to love being way out there and that you can love yourself for not being the 'norm'.  In that regard, I am still trapped by conditioning.  But maybe I don't need to be?  My kids don't get it.  Think I am losing them anyway, despite trying so hard to appear rational and conventional.

But yes, alone time is rejuvenating.

Wishing you a good day.

Hi there @Former-Member @Itsjustme1

I've had a similar time with having lots of friends in high school to having basically no one. Since I've had my mental illness people don't want to talk as much. I wish I could still have some of my old friends back. It's really hard sometimes. 😪 I've been lonely for years as well. I wish I could make new friends and keep them. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to have my say about something that it very hard to talk about sometimes. 

Thanks for sharing. 

I understand that feeling of not fitting in. I feel like people around me are not my species!

I am in a state of hiding from my family. I left home alone and nobody has called or messaged. It's like being off radar. 

Just knowing that someone else feels the "invisibility cloak" too, reduces my sense of separation. Thanks for opening up. It means a lot to hear of your experiences.

Re: Living with Loneliness

What does loneliness look like for you?

Not having any human interaction. Forgetting what do humans sound like. I sit in a room all by myself having no one to talk to 24/7. Becomes harder when I receive bad news and I know there is no one to support me.

How does loneliness feel and how does it impact your wellbeing?

It is a reminder that if something happens to me then nobody would notice let alone anyone would care.

Are the periods of the day or year when loneliness is harder to manage?

Every single day I wake up I regret it already knowing it is another day I have to spend alone

I feel everyone has an invisibility cloak. People who are lonely are those who have lost their strength to take it off anymore. Don't know about others, but for me the invisibility cloak is something I can't take it off myself anymore. I just need someone to help take it off by reaching out to me. Remind me that there is another person on this planet who remembered me.

Hey @Someone_youknow I can hear how lonely you feel and it sounds like a really hard place to be. I'm going to send you an email to check in. 

I'm wondering if it would be helpful to chat to one our SANE counsellors? The number is 1800 187 263 and there is also a webchat option. There is also the guided service, which would involve a peer worker or counsellor calling you regularly to check in and you can self refer. Would either of these options be helpful? 

There is always someone here online so please check in with us as regularly as you like, there are a community of people here, who support each other every day, and you could be a part of that too. 

Please take care 💝

I am not the best person when it comes to patience when I am anxious. I tried calling sane but after 25 mins of waiting time I gave up. There was no hint how long it can take so I just gave up. I tried the web chat but apparently the website says "chat is not available", but its fine I am used to bad luck even though the pain is breaking me

Also
thank you for reaching out.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance