Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BraveOne
Senior Contributor

Living with DID : being diagnosed

I am living with DID and wanting to hear other people's experiences around being diagnosed and seeking help. 

I was first diagnosed over 20years ago. It was such a horrific experience which brought about alot of shame and confusion and a hospitalisation. The treating psychiatrist didn't believe DID was real so l spent over 20years pretending, trying to be normal. Hiding my difficulties, feeling weird, misunderstood and alone . 

There were many therapists ho tried to help however they didn't get the guts of my problems, l think for some l contributed sustainably to their children's private school fees over years as we worked with my constant struggles in daily life not finding any real maintainable change. As the war inside me raged on l felt more hopeless and there were more chunks of time where l was a missing  person in this c body. 

The last couple of years the DID was identified again and l began looking for a  therapist who had experience around it. It's taken a long time  however lve finally began working with someone  who gets it.

It's nerve wracking as l feel like so much of my life has passed and l haven't been here to live it. 

So a new chapter is starting. Speaking about it is the first step. 

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Living with DID : being diagnosed

@NoOne@Fluttershy1@Maggie 

@BraveOne, hello and hugs , i have tagged a few members for you that may help xx

Thanks so much. Also for touching base yesterday. Appreciated.

Hey hey @BraveOne,

I suffer from DID and have 12 alters in my system! 
It can be difficult, nobody believes me up until now as I've been in and out of hospital for my MH and being medically unwell. 
They have there days where they can be really loud and overpowering some days they can be quiet. Some days all they want to do is just protect you when you are at your worst. 
I haven't been around forums the past week as I was severely unwell and my MH got out of hand after a discharge so I had to go back in due to one of my unsafe alters fronting. 
It's hard to deal with but I've somehow learnt how to manage it on my own. 
I have my days where I can stay in one of my alters all day when I'm feeling unstable or unsafe.

I'm here if you ever want a chat!

take care💜🦋

Thanks so much for taking a moment to respond. And speaking of your experiences. It can be really challenging when there's so many inside talking at once Sorry to hear your MH has been rocky lately. I hope you get the support you need in the hospital.
Love to talk more sometime

@BraveOne - the hospital hasn't been helpful at all. They keep discharging me. Not happy. 
currently switchy so I may be quiet🤫

Oh how frustrating... Sometimes they just dunno how to really help. Hope you guys can negotiate a way to stay safe.
No worries about being quiet. There's xa lot going on. . I'm totally buggered, big day.. Really gotta have an early night

@BraveOne  Welcome to the forums.

I too live with DID. Here to listen whenever you feel like talking.

Thanks @Maggie. I'm wanting to connect with others and hear about their experiences too.

You’ve been on this road for 20yrs now @BraveOne . No doubt, you have learnt so much.

I was diagnosed when I was 18, but back then, there was no treatment, no books, and very little material to help, apart from a few disturbing movies. About 20 years ago I was diagnosed again, but due to other complications that seemed more urgent, I was left to my own resources. I now have a very supportive social worker, and together, we are discovering my past, through the memories shared by my internal family.

Its not for the faint hearted. I like your name, by the way. @BraveOne  for sure.

I hope you are doing ok today.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance