Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

perseverer
Senior Contributor

Living With Madness

My four guys all have OCD, my husband has bipolar and left the workforce two years ago, my eldest son has schizoaffective disorder, my next eldest son has depression and anxiety and is being monitored for psychosis and my youngest son has Tourette's. Not surprisingly.

Every night the house gets rearranged and every morning rearranged again. You can never find anything and NOTHING in this house is sacred. 

Son J is having weight loss surgery and had to get his sleep apnea sorted out first. So now he is on a CPAP machine. And none too soon because his snoring was driving son G crazy. Son G, to escape the sound of son J snoring, was camping out in the garage. In the end, even that didn't work and now son G is awake all night while son J is asleep. Son C is the only one still at school and he is hanging on by a thread. 

My husband's conversation is innocent enough but not always sane. For example, he once suggested what a cool idea it would be for letterboxes to be underground. He is adamant about the merit of his ideas and it upsets the boys no end. 

So I am working full time of course and trying to counsel everyone to be tolerant of everyone else. 

And now that son J is through the worst part of his psychotic illness ie he is established in the system, complying with medication and has a network of support, it is not actually all that bad. We are coping.

But why does it have to be so hard to get to that point?

2 REPLIES 2
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Living With Madness

@perseverer

Why oh why? If you find the answer to that let us know.

Think of you each time I meet with the clinical director in relation to matters I have raised in relation to Mr Darcy's hospitalisation. Not appropriate to share on this forum but would loved to had your counsel on the matter.

Darcy

Re: Living With Madness

Hello @perseverer

Wow that sounds like a lot to be managing on your own, do you get time to have a break or someone to talk to? It seems like that would be possibly helpful to get you some help before it gets to that point, I am glad you are coping but are there other things realistically you could also get some help with?

Do the boys all get time to themselves with a counsellor too at all so that is not entirely placed upon you?

I can see how perhaps that harder to do in real life, but you cannot possible be made to manage all of this as one human being, there is only so much a person can handle.

Thinking of you,

Lunar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance