Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: It's the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras & SANE is celebrating all things LGBTQIA+

Fair Day was on in Sydney over the weekend, and I thought I would share some of the stalls and organisations that were represented there this year! If you don't live in Sydney, or couldn't make it, there are still lots of ways to connect in with communities and organisations who attended 🙂 

https://www.mardigras.org.au/2022-fair-day-stalls 

Re: It's the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras & SANE is celebrating all things LGBTQIA+

Thanks @Daisydreamer great find, great over view 👍

@eth wrote:

(me) - a person who gets to know someone and falls in love with who they are, their mind and personality and then if the friendship is deep it may become intimate physically - regardless of gender id. ❤️ Love this @eth 

I hope everyone is having a great week and enjoying the Mardi Gras!

Just wanted to share a survey for people who are TGD and want to share their experience with body compassion. It's through the University of Tasmania and is open to anyone aged 18+ who is transgender, nonbinary, genderfluid or any other gender diverse identity is welcome to participate in this project. It was promoted through Genderqueer Australia 

Link: Body compassion survey 

Have a great day! 

RiverSeal 🙂

@eth sincere apologies for not having included pansexual in the list. Having been in the LGBTQIA+ community for 30 years, I am still learning, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Thank you so much for sharing your story here with us. Writing on the topic must feel quite cathartic and empowering I imagine, and celebrating the joy of seeing your child liberated from their dysphoria right along with you!

PS– I love the term "queer peer", has such a nifty little ring to it 😉

The recent discussion about the religious discrimination bill has made me very upset. The coverage in the media and the comments from people I know on social media have been crushing. It makes the thought of coming out trans even more impossible. I also wonder what the plebiscite for same sex marriage was for and sad that we need a religious discrimination bill to protect our religious friends. It makes me sad that we need discrimination laws and it makes me sad that we can’t have just a single one to protect our freedom, whether we are lgbt+, religious, men, women, blacks, whites m, every colour of the rainbow. Makes me sad to the core. Really sad.

@petrichor so beautifully said 💙It makes me sad too to think that there are people, both young and old, for whom it makes not only coming out as trans incredibly difficult, but also as a consequence struggling to find inner acceptance because of the fears and misunderstandings of others. It's heartbreaking and I stand with you. Thank you for so bravely sharing your story here with us. I hope that you feel heard and supported within this community 🌈

Thanks to all those who've contributed by sharing your story or supporting the celebration!

@RiverSeal @Paperdaisy @Clawde @Daisydreamer @eth @flybluebird @petrichor @TheVorticon @greenspace @RedHorse @Shaz51 @TideisTurning @Former-Member @Adge @cloudcore @Appleblossom @NatureLover 

My turn...

Where/how/when do you experience joy, happiness, or euphoria related to your LGBTQIA+ identity?

I came out in the early 90's and attitudes were VERY different back then. Having experienced a great deal of homophobia at the time, both from peers as well as family, and ultimately what I now understand to be homelessness ("couch surfing" wasn't a term used back then) as a result, what brings me joy is being able to share my story without fear in a community such as this. To feel supported at work, and by many in the wider community, to simply be. That is freedom, and that to me is joyous.

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 3.28.35 pm.png

Image: Hey Arthur is a cartoon series I also find joyous. In the episode depicted above Mr Ratburn marries his "special someone", and it's the epitome of acceptance and joy.

Looking forward to reading more stories of joy/happiness and euphoria over the this month of Mardi Gras 🌈

@Rhye , having many cousins who are part of the rainbow family 

Each one is an individual and is important to me  

One of my cousin has been beaten up , his jaw broken in many places 

And then he experienced domestic violence from his partner 

He treats me like a sister which he and his family lived with us for a few years and I am happy to say now that he is in a happier state which makes me happy to know 

Ohh hello @RiverSeal , @flybluebird , @Paperdaisy , @Clawde , @eth 

Thinking of @Queenie who is not here now 

@Shaz that is both a heart wrenching and loving story you've shared with us, thank you 💜 It sounds like you have a special connection to your cousin, and it's so good to hear that he's now in a better place...what a path to have trodden.

Yes even though he is single now and has made a name for himself in landscaping gardens and has changed his name , we will always have a special connection @Rhye 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance