Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Imposter syndrome

When someone says to "just ignore the voices" or not to be so paranoid, or when people say I am overreacting or that if my condition were severe, then I wouldn't be smiling when talking about it. All of this adds to an overwhelming feeling that I am a fraud. When I was first diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, the psychiatrist would explain why he diagnosed me. He wasn't just taking my word for it, but instead, he made several observations and had gone through my medical records to come to the conclusion he had. I know I am unwell, and I seem to be paranoid about pretty much everything, this might be another thing to add to the list. Maybe it is an arrogance that I think I could fool everyone, or maybe things get so bad for me that to function I have to hold onto some idea, however loosely, that I am in control, even though I"m not.  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Imposter syndrome

A lot of good people get diagnoses from medical professionals, but they are still good people. Also, it is extreemly difficult to diagnose someone if they are masking their symptoms, and you have to be a very highly qualifed professional. Nobody can tell by looking, unless one is in the midst of a really florid episode. We are all good people even though we might have a episode from time to time.  Don't belive the stigma, perhaps dont tell everybody?  But do play to your strengths and the things you know you are good at. Hope that helps or is another perspective. Luck.

This is why art is so good.. because you are in control when you are creating

Hi @Former-Member welcome to the forum.

People making judgments on what someone else is experiencing is way to common and just ridiculous. It's really hard to be on the end of that; feels invalidating. I've been there myself to the extent that I sometimes doubt myself. I hope you find people here who get it, and accept you and where you're at in life. It sounds like your psychiatrist know what they are doing, so that's a big plus!

Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance