Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

PNG
New Contributor

How can I help my daughter to live with depression?

Hi all, my daughter has lived with chronic depressive disorder for about 12 years. At times she manages super well. At other times, like now, she is just drowning in her own misery, isolating herself, refusing help, and I am worried.  We've tried everything to support her but she just won't venture into therapeutic intervention.  

Any suggestions other than wait for her to decide when enough is enough? Thank you in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How can I help my daughter to live with depression?

@PNG Hi PNG and welcome to the forums 🙂 Sorry to hear about your daughter's chronic depression. My daughter also has chronic depression which has been going on for 9 years now. With lots of ups and downs. However, with the help of a psychiatrist and mental health nurse (and I should also mention a fabulous psychologist  at the beginning of her journey with her illness) she has improved out of sight.

The right medication, seeing her mental health nurse once a week and her psychiatrist once a month has made huge differences in her. She also has had two admissions to a mental health facility which has really helped with her state of mind this year.

It really came from her though. With lots of encouragement from her family to get better but without her wanting to do the hard yards it would have been a fruitless endeavour. I hope this helps. greenpea

@greenpea Thank you for sharing your story with me. I agree that a therapeutic intervention is critical for my daughter right now. Unfortunately she doesn't see it the way I do. Maybe when she's not quite so low she may see things differently. 

It's so very hard getting through a night not knowing if she will be breathing by the morning...

@PNG It is very hard isn't it. You might like to have a look around the forums there are a variety of threads, light hearted to more serious, where people just talk and gain alot of help and support from other's in similar positions as yourself. Hope to see you around the forums. greenpea xxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance