Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

The-red-centaur
Senior Contributor

Homeless and scared

Hi. 

It's been a while since I've been here. I feel scared and can't sleep. I'm sorry. 

I'm currently homeless.

It's scary living from day to day not knowing what the day will bring or what the future will look like. I left a dangerous family situation to end up in a pretty awful shelter. At first I was glad to have a roof but after a few weeks of being surrounded by violence and drugs it wears you down. My social worker ended up getting me a motel on Friday, but I can only stay here a week. But she has pushed an application into temporary housing which I'm viewing today, which I'll hopefully be moving in on Friday if it goes according to plan. 

The situation has me so scared. I hate the unknown. I don't know when and if I'll get permanent accommodation. Its so hard. Life seems so uncertain when you don't have a place to call home. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Homeless and scared

Hi, 

I have been homeless and lived on the streets. I cannot say much as I am doing it very tough right now. 

What I can say is that you are fortunate. If you can get this temporary housing, please take it. I know right up until the current times, it is aboslutely rare as hens teeth. I now work in the homeless sector. I know just how tough it is to even get a foot in the door. The problem has grown so much to astronomical proportions that many just no lonher have a choice.  Not saying it is not rough for you or you shouldnt be feeling, just saying, push for this housing as much as possible. You can get on your feet as much as you can and find something better down the track if you are not happy. 

@The-red-centaur  I’m really sorry to hear how bad things have been for you, and still are.

I have been homeless. I know how scared you are feeling. No one should have to feel this way.

I really hope the temporary housing comes through for you. 

Life is uncertain, and a place to call home is a basic need.

We care about you @The-red-centaur . Sending 💚💚💚

Just tagging @greenpea  

@Maggie @The-red-centaur  Hey Maggie and The-red-centaur. Thank you for tagging me Maggie. I too have been homeless. Hugs and hugs little one. We are all thinking of you and  wishing your situation changes quickly. Love peaxxx

@Powderfinger I'm sorry you're doing it tough. I read your thread but had no idea what to say. Hang in there. I hope it shifts soon for you.

@Maggie thank you.

@greenpea hey mumma pea thanks.

I feel a bit better this morning. I see my psychologist this morning and I'm hoping to speak my case manager too. Then looking at the place this arvo. I really hope it's nice and suitable, the units are new, but having a disability I have to make sure it fits my needs, of is adaptable to them at least. Fingers crossed.

@The-red-centaur  We will be thinking of you this afternoon. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

@The-red-centaur  Please let us all know how you go today. Will be thinking of you and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. Love you hunny. peaxxx

@Maggie @greenpea the unit was ok. I'm moving in on Friday.

@The-red-centaur  that is great news. It would be the best news I have in a long while. Love peaxx

@The-red-centaur  I’m really pleased for you. Just before Christmas as well. Things might be looking up for you. 💙💙💙💙

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance