Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

Have you had a period of remission from your depression

Would love to hear from people who have had remission from depression.

How long did the remission last? 

We're you able to be happy,  joyful or content during the remission? 

I've been in remission a few months,  but no joy or contentment.  When will my life return back to normal? 

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Have you had a period of remission from your depression

@utopia Hi utopia from my experience my mind has not gone back to normal, the way it was before..... maybe for others it has ..... and I do have schizo which has manifested itself differently when it comes to depressive episodes. Will be interested to see if others have fully recovered and gone back to the way they were before the mental illness developed.

GGood topic @utopia

Hi @Tab

Sadly, I'm state ting to think I have DYSTHYMIA (perpetual low mood) but on the he other hand - loneliness is a killer and o suffer terribly feeling alone & unwanted.

Be not cevif family & community could fill the hole, by everyonevos so busy with yheir own lives.

Mich MI comes from broken dysfunctional families which sadly perpetuate it.

My depressive episode remissions nearly always end around x8 months (along with any serious relationships p or job, it all only lasts 6-8months. I thought for a while, maybe I have nipolat, but Of cause this irrirrelivant to MH professionals I meet so far.

I'm so over it! and giving up with the damaging labels, labwhat a joke! some 12yo holding a folder determines which category I fit into, syjove that! Live or die like this. I don't need theirtheir useless  patronising.

Hmm, think im still angry

Glad to her of your remission though... but I wouldn't be getting excited just yet...

but that's just me. 

Stay positive 😉

I wouldn't say I am in remission but more it is controlled by meds @utopia

Much like you there is not a lot of joy or happiness but not the long periods of sadness and despair either - it is more like a no-man's lands. I lack motivation and energy to do things but also know that when I am engaged in things I feel much better. Maybe that is more the key - having a sense of purpose and activity. Working for me - whilst difficult - did give me some purpose and got me out of the house. I did find I had a greater sense of purpose again then regardless of the hurdles I had to constantly jump though. Since finishing work again last year I feel I have slipped back down and am quite flat at times - hoping that when I finally get placed at a new school will help lift my mood again. 

So whilst I wouldn't say I was in remission from depression I would say that it is under control for now and I know I need things in my life that occupy both my body and mind to be able to move forward in any constructive capacity ...but I fully get also how hard that is when one feels flat constantly.

Thanks  @Zoe7@Former-Member@greenpea

It's hard to know what's going on with my mental state. The only thing I'm sure of is that depression is not smothering me. It doesn't appear to be around anymore.

Oh god, I do hope I get back to my old original normal self.

I don’t remember joy in last couple years maybe there wasn’t any? Sure I smiled at least couple times a week??? No , def no Joy. Or love. Yeh ok pssst

I don’t know @Former-Member having to face mortality/ can I work anymore or how can I not work anymore and still survive issues

Wish you had tagged me properly @Former-Member . Self fulfilling tho I guess ok just say your post now somehow. Yes alone yes no energy yes possible more health issues plus near broke plus not much work , want to leave this state etc lol am depressed. Woo Hoo I got it going on!!

I'm starting to think I have disthymia (perpetual low mood), but on the he other hand - loneliness is a killer & unfortunately goes hand in hand with MI. Be nice if family & community could actually fill the hole (tablets don't) - 

but everyone is just so busy with their lives, earning money and keeping up with the Jones's. Paid professionals lack the care factor, and time. And broken dysfunctional families seem to only perpetuate the problem. We have to find a better way.

My depression remissions nearly always end around x8 months (along with any serious relationships or job).

Sometimes I think I may be bipolar but MH professionals dont seem to think so.

I'm so over damaging MH labels, what a joke! - some 12yo holding a folder determinesdetermaning which box I fit into, in one 45min hour, give me a break! And the solution is 

(A) a little white tablet

(B) talk therapy

(C) change your thinking...

Patronising drop in the ocean!

I'm sick of this self serving useless MH system, and itslabels, its language. Its broken, and patronising, and damaging to the individual / the vulnerable, and it fuels social stigm. 

Glad to her of your remission though @utopia... but I wouldn't be getting excited just yet...

I've come to accept that lifelife, natural life comes in cyclescycles, and rhythms, that ebb and flow like the ocean, and the less I resist - the more peace I experience.

We are not the problem. Its social expectations that make us think and feel like failures. 

But what would I know? I have MI 

I think it is a double edged sword @utopia - we need to be occupied, feel worthwhile, be doing constructive things but still feel flat and unmotivated - without that motivation we cant do things and without doing things we don't have that motivation - it is a hard cycle to break.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance