Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

depression101
Senior Contributor

Feeling bullied

Does anyone else feel that they get bullied by their Proffessional Carers?

is it just that my depression is overwhelming me/

I have the very real feeling of being pressured to attend groups that I just feel so stressed about.

E.g. My Community Councilor is trying to get me to go to a group that deals with Social Skills. I admit I dont have any but right now this feels overwhelming me. I am anxious, pressured, angry, stressed, panic.

My logic tells me she is trying to help but I also feel that she isnt really listening to how big an issue this is for me.

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Feeling bullied

Yes,you can feel that way,I did,and their assumptions about what you need or don't need can take over the client who needs to be the one making decisions.At the end of the day only you can make decisions as sometimes theirs can be inappropriate.Sometimes their egos take over.Just ensure you are involved in the decision making process, because this at times can be unethical.

Are you allowed to ask for a different carer?   I've been lucky, the company I am with lets me say if I don't get along with a carer and will change them for me.  In the past  I have had one carer who was quite offensive in her dismissal of my problems, and another who kept trying to "fix" me, but now I have a different awesome carer who accepts me for who I am.

Some of them mean well but just don't get it.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I don't know your situation Alone but if you don't have a rapport with your career,feel uncomfortable,don't trust them plus feel they are violating your rights they shouldn't be carers.As someone who went for support worker type jobs,they aren't supposed to make judgements,and you are supposed to see past any disability,and respect the client and their individuality etc and respect equality.
Comes down to personal attributes,I don't get it either,past few years in fact I am disgusted and disappointed in the whole hypocrisy Alone.Glad you now have a good one,makes a difference to be respected.

As I have no money, its down to dear old Medicare  to decide my fait it seems.

I feel obliged to accept something rather than nothing. No real choice for me.

i know I want to get better but only one person understood how far back my issues reached. but she left the centre and now all they focus on is trying to pin my depression to my marriage breakdown.  it was more that my history finally got to me and I became deoresed. then my marriage broke down. As my wife put it  she just couldnt deal with Mental illness.

Just sitting here, nothing really to focus on. Realised that all my joy in life revolved around my marriage. Now alone and worse I hate being pushed to do things that WE enjoyed as doing so alone feels guilty and wrong. 

Yet if you say that to them they think you are going to suicide again. So you bottle it all up dont you.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Can fully understand  had counseling for over 4 years with the crap of believing things will get better,made major changes with it "believing in myself",with the help of "happy pills" .(antidepressants),nothing went well,lost what I did have.Been severely depressed and anxiety for past year with SC thoughts Also suffer psychotic depression at times.Went from never missing a day's work to someone who has put in for many jobs and unsuccessful.I no longer believe in counseling or "happy pills", because my mental illness is environmental,and if I hear some idiot tell me they would "help"again I will scream.I do get scared of my thoughts, been thinking of going to my doctor just to talk to someone for 5 minutes past few days as I know I'm not in a good way.But it took me a long time to realise if I can't handle my life,no one else can help.Know it's hard to do things like reminding you of your past life,all. I can say is what we all do which is take it day by day.Dont know the answers ,as I avoid things that cause stress or trauma,but that doesn't help the anxiety.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Can fully understand  had counseling for over 4 years with the crap of believing things will get better,made major changes with it "believing in myself",with the help of "happy pills" .(antidepressants),nothing went well,lost what I did have.Been severely depressed and anxiety for past year with SC thoughts Also suffer psychotic depression at times.Went from never missing a day's work to someone who has put in for many jobs and unsuccessful.I no longer believe in counseling or "happy pills", because my mental illness is environmental,and if I hear some idiot tell me they would "help"again I will scream.I do get scared of my thoughts, been thinking of going to my doctor just to talk to someone for 5 minutes past few days as I know I'm not in a good way.But it took me a long time to realise if I can't handle my life,no one else can help.Know it's hard to do things like reminding you of your past life,all. I can say is what we all do which is take it day by day.Dont know the answers ,as I avoid things that cause stress or trauma,but that doesn't help the anxiety.It comes down I think to us feeling powerless and vulnerable,and unfortunately there are insensitive people who delight it seems to make you feel worse, that's why I avoid these people and regardless of whether you and I are on Centrelink,I won't put up with them as that threatens my well-being and isn't "help".

Do you have a GP who has drawn up a mental health care plan?
If you have a plan and your talking therapy is not working for you, maybe the best idea is to book an appointment with the GP to review your plan.
If you don't have a plan, I would encourage you to get one. It was the best thing I ever did. My GP suggested it. The plan is drawn up by you and the GP with specific goals in mind for both your mental and physical health. To get the most of the planning (which is a Medicare approved item), when you call to make an appointment, ask the receptionist to book a long appointment with GP. Make a few notes about the key points you want to discuss e.g. therapy provider not working or medication review.
I think you will be on the first step to making a positive change for the better.

Appreciate the suggestion of a Plan.

Amazed though I find out that if I get such assistance I have to pay for it from my Workers Comp paymnet despite that having to be used for other things.

I thought Mental health was free but it appears not.

So forget the plan I simply dont have the money for it.

Great country we ;ive in isnt it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance