Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ricardorider
Senior Contributor

Facebook are you still on it or like me and need a break

Hi everyone,

After only a fewyrs on facebook, i don't live on it by the way. A lot of negative things and waay too much media exposure ' as it happens' or saturation coverage of anything and everything. I decided last week to wean my self off it and take a break.  I let a few good freinds know I was having a breather, we confirmed email addy's i have learned how to save a webpage to Firefox and my list of faves again :).

I don't miss it to be honest, everything thats on facebook (for me) i can find on the net. Yes some hobbies I like, dont have a FB and a webpage,  I did a lot of reading online about folks who wanted to take a break and we are all saying the samethings.  Will I go back??? right now am happy to be away for a few months.

FYI I never set my phone up to receive everything net based either. my anxiety issues started cos i was linked to my mobile and some of the places I worked and the people in there.

How about you all. have you taken a breather / break from FB and Twitter.If so for how long ?

Take care everyone RR 🙂

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Facebook are you still on it or like me and need a break

Hey @Ricardorider.

I left Facebook about 7 years ago and I have no intention of going back.  My current work wanted to set up a work group (there is some new collaboration feature they're plugging) but even fans of FB said no as there would be no escape, work 24/7.

My reasons for leaving may not seems like a big deal, but they were causing me stress.  They included people from my past wanting to catch up when I didn't want to, learning too much about friends that I didn't like or agree with, stupid games and quiz requests, work being very restrictive about what I could and couldn't post, misinformation and general stupidity.  There was also the fact that my life is very quiet and I have nothing to brag/share with people and this made me feel bad about myself.

I do Instagram and Snapchat but I find these platforms less problematic.  I have strict privacy settings, only follow positive people and don't go on more than once a day.  I still get some envy over other's "better/more interesting/beautiful" lives, but I try and keep this in perspective.

FB is such a big part of people's lives that I think it will be around for many years but there is some social cache to be gained from resisting it and Twitter, especially when others are berating you for not joiining.  Resist!

I'm on it.  I get paid to talk on facebook 🙂   It's brilliant, I've been on dsp for years and was suddenly offerred this job out of the blue.

I am very careful about who I friend on social media, my friends list is very short (about 20) and only people that I am really interested in and want around.  We all have common goals and support each other.

I do need to make sure that I am not on it all the time, so I don't have a smart phone and only access via a desktop.

I mainly go on fb to post/look at cat pictures. I spend less than 20 min reading it a day. I don't miss it when I don't use it for a week or so.
But netflix, iview, sbs on demand..... these I cannot live without.
I also really love quora - it's great for learning new things and passing on your own knowledge and opinions.
And sometimes, I do the radical.... and get outside and go for a walk!!!!!! Go Me!

Just on social media. I’m amazed at how fast some things move. I just received an online petition to have don Burke’s OAM removed. 

I laughed at your comment @Former-Member re even going for a walk 😂 and yes go you 😃. I’ve been weening my forum addiction but my face book addiction rose :face_with_rolling_eyes:. I’m a bit the same with using Facebook just for interests more than connection. 

Hi @Ricardorider
Thanks for your input today on my own thread
I have also stopped using facebook regularly because it made me get severe FOMO
I use twitter but do that anonymously (try to anyway)

I only use Facebook to converse with friends. My Mrs does all my other Facebook bidding for me. I used to admin for a group there, but it has fallen by the wayside and hardly anyone posts in that particular group anymore.

Hi Mary,

Never got the FOMO thing with social media. Am too much of a realist to give a monkeys about evryone else and their contrived-ness 🙂

i deleted twitter, i ddn;t use it much and it was giving me the jimmy gritts as much as FB. The immediacy of FB and then saturation coverage wore me down as well. The world at our finger tips I have had  a couple, of jobs where it was there lives in my hands. Seen enough to see much more

Agreed Social media can be useful for hobbies and interests. i need time away from it. That said am not goj gto be haunting here :0 but wanted to ask around and it seems most folks who are well informed and realistic have had enough of the immediacacy of Fb and its guff

Yes keeping tabs on likes and tricking up the privacy settings helps. I too don;t want other folks from my past trying to find me. i ha d a non de plume anyway. but some are persistent and when they beahved so badly towards me, Why would I in all conscience want to be in their presence to again and tell them how close they came to getting a thick ear.
to quote my late late Gran

Yes desktop for me. my phone is just that a phone. Good you get some recompense for your efforts too
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance