Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: ECT Treatment

ECT. Ive just finished my 12 sessions. This would be the 3rd lot i have had over a period of time that i cant remember.

Did it work the first 2 times? Apparently it did but with the usual memory losses.

Im walking around the house trying to work out whats been happening over the past 5 weeks. Theres alot that i just dont have a clue. I need to take someone to appountments just so i can use their memory. Im having flashbacks of my hospital stay and am getting a bit paranoid about memories that dont feel right. Its weird though as i was given a cognitive/ memory test after each treatment in which i did pretty well on the last one and i still remember alot of that test but i am still forgetting many things since. My head doesnt feel right and best way to describe it is my brain hurts. It is a bit distressing for me and feel like im going backwards in regards to my mental health. I am having it checked out and am hoping it all sorts itself out. It was discussed that i have top up treatments but family are not sure this is a good idea. Personally i would like to have it in the hope theres a malfunction and i can finally be at peace.

Sorry for the downer response but it is what it is

Hi I was just wondering I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for advice but is there anywhere in NSW that anyone on here knows of that administers ECT? I have tried Googling for months trying to find somewhere that offers this treatment. I found one place in Melbourne but i don't think i will be able to go through them as i think I have to go through there psychologists and I am unsure if they even offer this option or just have information on the procedure. I feel like this treatment would be a good option as i have been in hospital twice and my medication doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated from anyone. 

Thank you

Sorry again if this isnt allowed.

Hi I was just wondering I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for advice but is there anywhere in NSW that anyone on here knows of that administers ECT? I have tried Googling for months trying to find somewhere that offers this treatment. I found one place in Melbourne but i don't think i will be able to go through them as i think I have to go through there psychologists and I am unsure if they even offer this option or just have information on the procedure. I feel like this treatment would be a good option as i have been in hospital twice and my medication doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated from anyone. 

Thank you

Sorry again if this isnt allowed.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @JW1994 

You need to speak to your  psychiatrist about ECT. 

From NSW Health 

" The Act requires that in the case of voluntary patients, at least two medical practitioners (at least one of whom must be a psychiatrist) agree that the person can give informed consent and that the treatment is “reasonable and proper … and … necessary or desirable for the safety or welfare of the person” (s93). If the authorised medical officer is unsure whether a patient is capable of giving informed consent, they may apply to the Mental Health Review Tribunal for a determination."

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/mentalhealth/services/consumers/pages/electro-therapy.aspx

Hi thank you for the info I feel like this is my only option as I have tried several cocktails and medication. I will speak with my psychiatrist when i see them. I really hope I am eligible.

Also I was wondering how does the procedure go about. Is it one day as an inpatient or as a few weeks stay. I am only asking as i have a job and rent and cant leave my work despite how stressed and depressed i am due to me and my partner. Sorry if this sounds like I am not eligible I would leave work if i could.

Thank you 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@JW1994 

Your psychiatrist will be able to advise if they feel ECT is suitable for you and the practicalities involved. 

When my husband had it he was an inpatient but did have some maintenance ECT as an outpatient in the day stay unit.

As with all treatment understanding risk vs benefit is necessary and I would certainly be asking the pdoc if your desired outcome is realistic. 

This brochure explains a bit about ECT.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.yourhealthinmind.org/getmedia/65a66...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance