Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Bob4
New Contributor

Do I let them drive?

I own a transport business and I have a driver who suffers from Anxiety and depression. This driver is under the care of medical proffesionals and is taking medication to manage the illness. Lately the driver has not been coping and has inferred comitting suicide. Do i let the driver get behind the wheel of a heavy vehicle? Can I ask for a medical clearance? Even then, i have a duty of care for the driver and other road users.

I have called many goverment agencies but none really have clear guidance.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Do I let them drive?

Hey @Bob4  - that's a tricky one. It's really good that you're treating this situation seriously, and wanting to ensure safety for your employee and others on the road. Letting the driver know that there is help available, and encouraging them to reach out to crisis services like Lifeline or Suicide Callback Service is one way you can help. I'm not sure where you are, but you can also try getting in touch with Work Safe VIC (or your state equivalent), and have a read through on their information about mental health in the workplace. 

I hope this helps. 

@Bob4 I'd talk to the person privately, express your care and concern. For everyone's safety, I would perhaps ask them to see their doctor and get a medical certificate. In the mental health world, self care is heavily promoted. You need self care too. 

The person may get very upset, however yes you have a duty of care. If the person does get upset, do not beat yourself up. You are helping. 

All the best with this delicate issue. 

Hi @Bob4 

God bless you for being so responsible - I think you would be doing the right thing to ask for medical clearance before letting him get behind the wheel of a heavy vehicle when he has expressed suicidal ideation

I can't imagine how I would feel in your place - troubled - certainly - but I would want to make sure I did all I could to stop what might happen - happening on my watch - I think it best to take him aside and ask him to see his GP at least - 

It's all an incredibly large responsibity - and yes - let him know there is help - Life Line 13 11 14

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance