Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Gray
Senior Contributor

Consumer

I am brand new to this and so if I stumble a little or am a wee bit inappropriate or full on, forgive me. I'll try to be a good boy.

My family, which wasn't exactly perfect in the first place, exploded and pieces of it ended up all over the world.  We tried so hard to look after our bipolar son(A CONSUMER!!!) but it was impossible. We reached out, no, begged, for help, that's all we wanted was a bit of help but it wasn't forthcoming.  They said they would help us look after him "out in the community", but they didn't.  They left us to our own, pathetic devices.

This was many years ago but nothing has changed.  I left him and his mother to it. She sacrificed her way of life for him.  It was the only way. His sister has nothing to do with the family now..

I could go on and on and on and on but I won't.  I am the guiltiest man in the world.

I am also furious that one of the wealthiest nations on earth stood by and watched us and many more just like us, implode.  Watch this space. I have much more to say.Smiley Mad

112 REPLIES 112

Re: Consumer

but your here now.

Can you think of different things like.....what your doing now with yourself?

Hi mate, I know it's frustrating at times but just need to hang in there. I got my partner settled after a couple of years of hell. The catalyst was a hospital stay when he was scheduled and a community treatment order, stabilised meds and had years of stability and bliss after that. Things in recent times have been bad because he got on to pot (mental illness worst nightmare) but there's hope. My advice for what it worth, link into good doctor if you can. Cheers J
Gray
Senior Contributor

Hi Jacob 101

Thanks for your reply and glad to hear things are working for you now... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Oh yes, the good old "Community Order"(forced meds).  It's called closing the gate after the horse has escaped, but it works because of forced meds.

The reason for them is usually that the recipient has been causing havoc in the community.

The powers-that-be wait until such havoc occurs or is noticed and then they act.

The carer at home meanwhile lives a nightmare.

My medication of choice by the way is Coopers Pale Ale. (SA boutique beer) and I don't have to be forced to take it.

The community is here for you to vent, so relax and unwind 🙂

Gray
Senior Contributor

Hi li-kris,

Vent, relax and unwind ?? OK, here goes:

VENTING: "The mental health system in Australia is ludicrous!."

RELAXING: "Did someone ask me if I wanted a beer?"

UNWINDING: "Yes Please and who cares."

REALITY: I care actually.. with a deep seated passion and anger.

Hope this helps Li-kris.

Gray xx

Hey @Gray, what would you change about the mental health system? If you could change 3 things, what would they be?
And if you have different ones for Federal and State then bring it on..
You never know who's reading on the Forum and whilst I know South Australia has a Carer and Consumer Register that you can join, you might have ideas for national discussion..

Gray
Senior Contributor

Hmmm.. I just got cut off??

Is somewone watching me/us.. oooo spooky.

Hi Sandy

Anyway, oooh, i do like you post,  3 things to change, you ask???

I am going to think on your question and sleep on it. Promise my reply will be profound and incisive.

I am a morning person.

Nite Nite Sandy.Smiley Wink

Gray
Senior Contributor

Hi Sandy,  (are you a girl or a boy).. I am a boy(old man)... Here I am again after a good night's sleep.

Oh gosh, you have opened a can of worms when you ask, "what would you change?." and there is no simple answer.  But I will try and I will do it in relatively short excerpts so that you don't fall asleep. Please feel free to tell me to stop anytime.

EXCERPT 1

Prior to offering a cure for a disease however, and that is certainly what it is today, I need to describe it, again, sorry...

It started in the mid to late 80's. It was motivated by the perceived need to stop the all to frequent practice of incarcerating mentally ill people indefinitely, against their will, and sometimes forgetting about them. This practise  had to be stopped. The applied cure  was good and fair and for a while it worked.  Bit by bit however, over the years it became a monster just as bad perhaps worse than the original whereby it is now almost impossible to get a consumer into hospital and if you do their is a systemic revolving door policy to get them "out into the community" regardless and without support. Labels were applied, staff and so called professionals were indoctrinated and mentally ill people who had no carers, were dumped in "druggy" type neighbourhoods, eventually and inevitably doing what one does in Rome.  So called carers, simply couldn't cope with their untreated, unsupported loved ones and their lifes and families were destroyed.

Step/Change one of the requested three: If we must have labels then:

Replace the term "Consumer" with MIP. (Mentally Ill Person).

Replace the term "Carer" with LOON (Loved One)

Replace the terms Psychatrist, Psychologist and Psych Nurse with BUP (Brainwashed Uncaring Person)

Let me know if you want Excerpt Two,  Sandy.

All this assumes the mediators don't shut me down of course.

Gray

MIP, LOON & PUP.
Well I wasn't expecting this direction@Gray..me, I still prefer Consumer!
What are your next two themes as I am wondering what you would change in terms of improving access to supports for people with mental health issues and carers/family who are trying to support their loved ones?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance