Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

SJAX
New Contributor

Complex PTSD and alcohol dependence

Hi, I’m new here but am going to jump right in and ask for some advise. My husband suffers from complex PTSD ( emergency service worker for 28 years)  and has spent the last few years in and out of treatment. He’s made great progress working through many many issues but his inability to deal with his  dependence on alcohol is finally getting the better of me.

He has recently retired - Total and Permanent Disability and the secretive drinking and  social isolation as a result of his retirement is escalating. Any suggestions or words of wisdom on how to support him ( and me - I’m going under here too) would be most appreciated. 

Thanks 🙏 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Complex PTSD and alcohol dependence

Hi @SJAX

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing your story.

That is a huge load you are carrying. I hope you are finding time for yourself, taking time out and looking after your self care. One of the things you can control is doing things that help you to cope and looking after yourself as best you can.

There is certainly support out there for you. In regards to his PTSD, feel free to ring the SANE Helpline on 1800 187 263 between 10 am and 10 pm Eastern Time. With his alcohol issues, you can call Family Drug Support on 1300 368 186. There is some good general info via this link https://www.fds.org.au/coping-tips/

I hope that you will find the forums to be a supportive place for exploring all these issues. Just a tip, if you are replying to someone or wanting to notify or touch base with someone, place an @ before their username, as in @SJAX

All the best

Joe The Lion

Re: Complex PTSD and alcohol dependence

Thanks @JoeTheLion. I appreciate your reply and the info provided. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance