Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ml87
Casual Contributor

Cold feet

I'm almost at the tail end of wedding planning and something familiar is starting to rear its ugly head...anxiety!!
The feeling of wanting to give up or run away is niggling away at me when it should be one of the happiest times of my life.
I'm excited about the big day, but starting to feel afraid of myself. Does anyone know what I mean or have any advice on how to calm down and enjoy this time?
Marrying my best friend is exactly what I want to do. I think just get scared of what feels like an enormous next stage of life and I'm full of mixed emotions. This makes me anxious and that leads me to my depression and wanting to give up when things just feel like too much to handle.
And then there's the guilt...
I get scared I'll never be able to "handle" anything as I always tend to crumble.
My husband to be is so strong, must be why we found each other.
Maybe one day I'll have some faith in myself. Hopefully that day is soon!!

Thanks for listening, don't really have anyone I could say these things to!

2 REPLIES 2
NikNik
Senior Contributor

Re: Cold feet

Hi ml87

We are all here to listen 🙂 Glad you could share with us!

It sounds like you're quite confident in what you're doing - you said marrying your best friend is exactly what you want to do.

It IS an enormous next life stage - it's completely normal to feel nervous, fear of the unknown etc - but it sounds like you have a great guy that you're marrying who will be there in the next life stage - which I hope you find comforting.

Maybe you're getting a bit ahead of yourself? We can never predict what the future holds. Would it be helpful to focus on the present (your big day!) & not try and think so far into the future?

Weddings just in themselves are stressful to plan - I hope that you're finding a way to remove yourself from that stress - I'm sure that can't be helpful for you right now.

Does anyone else have thoughts?

ml87
Casual Contributor

Re: Cold feet

Thanks so much NikNik.
You're right. I really need to try and stop worrying about the "what ifs" and focus on the present. One of my biggest struggles is that.

I'm feeling better today, after having a chat with my fiancé last night a little about how I've been feeling. Another thing I'm working on - not bottling things up because although it feels easier it makes everything worse! He's so strong and so caring, now to tell myself that everyday and appreciate each day we are together.

Life is tricky!! I feel overwhelmed by all we need to do. Work, love, look after ourselves. I sure struggle with it all!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance