Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Rubyf
Contributor

Centrelink and the Great Waiting Game

Everything falls apart once a fortnight, when I call the magic 13number to report what I haven't earned over the fortnight.
The fun actually started in February, after a trip to the doctors left me in possession of several scripts and a medical certificate, a physical injury sparked up some usually manageable anxiety and depressive psychotic tendencies. I took this certificate to my local centrelink agent, not an office, an agent. One of the joys of living rural is that you aren't deserving of actual facilities because "distance" or whatever. So a staff member faxes a copy (because they don't have access to the computer systems) and places the original in an envelope for express delivery to the nearest office. I'm told it'll be submitted and I'll get my healthcare card soon. That was the last anyone saw of that certificate. Neither copies managed to get lodged, my hcc never arrived (we get mail twice a week so things take longer, snail mail!). Next fortnight, no word from the government, no money in my account, I get on the phone. After an hour or so on hold and a two minute conversation, I'm cut off, broke and stuck out in the bush. Apparently you still need to report when they don't give you a job network provider, but literally told me to my face not to look for work. Top job. I'll just wait it out until I can magically teleport the 70kms to the doctors then a further 90kms in top of that to hand deliver a second certificate (that isn't bulk billed because I don't have a hcc, and I have no money to pay for because centrelink cut me off) to the 3 hours drive centrelink office myself. I don't drive, I can't. I had no money. Thank goodness for understanding neighbours, who appreciate my somewhat underwhelming culinary skills.

Between then and now, I've lodged another couple of med certs and have another due in next fortnight. I've also been reporting via the mygov site, that requires an sms to be received, so I'd organise a lift into town, report my zero dollars, turn around and navigate the hour drive home.
Obviously not an ideal fortnightly expedition since I can't even get groceries until the next day, so I thought why not just call them.
Worst. Idea. Ever.
Sometimes it goes real smooth and I get to talk to an operator straight away, not today.
Today I was feeling really positive, I started a movie and paused it thinking that it wouldn't take too long. I called, it was engaged. Tried again, engaged. Once more, same again. I called a second number that I knew was for reporting. It asked for my CRN all good, tells me about voice recognition, all good, please enter your pin or say you don't have one...
I don't have one.
"Ok, tell me your CRN?...Have you heard about voice recognition? Please enter your pin or say you don't have one...."
I don't have one
"Ok, I just need to check your CRN is it this...? Yes? Please enter your pin or say you don't have one..."
Operator.
"Sorry I didn't..."
Operator.
On hold for 17 mins, a man answers, you want to report? Ahhh, wrong department, let me transfer you..."
The clock on the landline phone tells me I've had the receiver against my ear for 91 minutes and 09 seconds by the time a lady answers. She asks me some questions and gives me a pin, to put me back through to the machine that asked for my CRN, which I repeat, it asks for a pin which I input. It tells me no. Gives me another try so I speak my pin rather than using the key pad, no. On my third try which instead of using a pin I tried operator again. The machine terminated the call. I'd been on the line for 107 minutes and 48 seconds.
I haven't had a panic attack like the one that followed the termination of that call. I collapsed and banged my head. I even had to do groaning, and even though it makes me feel better at the time, I know that people judge me if they find out, so I try not to groan or rock too much.
Anyway, there is basically no internet here (the strength is so weak it cuts out and messes with the government site, it doesn't load youtube at all and there is time for a cuppa waiting for a FB pic), no mobile and I don't have a ride to the centrelink agency, so I just had to call again, or no food for me this fortnight.
6 mins 31 seconds down and I was hanging up the phone. Where was this life saving operator two hours ago? Where was anyone with compassion two hours ago?
I don't know how to express to them the wonderful uniqueness of my situation, or if they'd even give two shakes if I could.
Thank you for reading my rambling rant.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Centrelink and the Great Waiting Game

feel your pain @Rubyf been there but nowhere as bad as you it is a real challenge to live in the bush I have friends who live in the bush it's so much harder than the cities. there is no way I would judge you for rocking or groaning or having a panic attack. I would have lost it as well. it's good to get it off your chest

Hi @Rubyf. Yes I love centerlink - not. Most frustrating organisation around. I don't have a home line. So I declare my zero income on the automated sysyem. But half the time it doesn't work. So then it puts me to the newstart line - where all single parents go. They do not have a fee call nbr if callinf from mobiles. 60 minutes b4 I get a person to talk to and they always stuff it up.
and every time I get a centerlink medical certificate I now drive the 115km return trip. If I fax it to ny branch it gets lost. If I post it to canberra where these forms are posted it gets lost. So I drive it with the last bit of petrol I have.
It's beyond frustrating and does upset and trigger me. Then I'm crying and then come all my negative self talk and I have to take a prn and have a sleep.
Unfortunately they don't appear to care. We are all lumped in together as bludged.
If things get worse for you, ask to speak to their social worker. You will have to see themin the office, but they do try and taje some of the pressure off you.
Good luck and I hope you write into this forum again

Hi @Rubyf

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for your post!

That sounds like a really difficult situation! I know I’ve had my fair share of frustrations with Centrelink over the years, but nothing compared to what it sounds like you went through. All things considered, it sounds like you dealt pretty well with the whole situation! It’s good to hear you were able to speak with a helpful operator in the end. Hopefully having a bit of a vent here on the Forums has been helpful, I’m sure you’re not alone in finding the system a little trying at times…

Good to have you here. Keep posting and hope to see you around!

All the best,
supernova.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance