Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Anyone started with the NDIS?

@Appleblossom  I really hope you have a good outcome from your meeting.  And that today is a good one for you.

Thanks @Appleblossom , I've been around different forums for a while now.  I'm not concerned about how many people answer etc.    I just come in here for a bit, then go away for a bit.  I'm okay with it all.

Hey @Alone   if you tag me I will always try to get back to you, even if it's not straight away.  Sometimes the time lag waiting for a response on the forums can leave us worrying about what's going on, but most times it's just that other things in life need attention.  Take care.

@Appleblossom @saturnzoon @Doglover @Alone @Ali11  and anyone else reading here ............

W O O H O O ! ! !

I really should be ecstatic about this - it will totally change my life for the better.

My coordinator of supports and plan manager have together worked out a way that MH specific driver training can be covered by my current NDIS funds package.  I had a moment of being really happy about it as I have pushed for it for the last 2 months (it was actually me that spotted some fine print on the providers web page that said a way it could be done if the usual price line item numbers couldn't be used).  Then, as is so typical of me, a whole bunch of what if's and unknown details crashed into my brain!!!  Have talked about them a bit with CoS and psychologist and need to tell myself that things will become clearer as it all progresses.  Some issues about what the steps are needed for 'graded exposure' - what the details will be, and mainly about the question of - it's one thing being able to get from A to B but I still need support to do stuff once I am at B.  The suggestions are that either a support worker can meet me there and to find out if a sw is allowed to travel in my car.

The first step is to have a MH specific occupational therapist assessment and report which is now scheduled for the Monday after I get back from my trip.  The cost of the OT will mean I have to sacrifice a few psychology sessions (from my 2 year package of funds) but the actual lessons will come out of a different category - Capacity Building  social, community and civic - under the listing of 'innovative community and social'.

Excited and daunted at the same time.  Good old anxiety and fears about PTSD things that have happened while driving in the past - the reason I stopped nearly 3 years ago.

And even the challenge of having a male instructor is a biggie for me.  

It's good to be able to write about it here because no-one in my life would understand all my concerns, they would just think I'm lucky and I should be grateful and happy.  Which is what I am trying to believe myself.

Woohooo Indeed @eth 

Heart

Congratulations

Smiley Happy

Wise Mind will come to your aid ... with your fears ...

Smiley Happy

I have a CoS coming this afternoon. She went on 2 week holiday after only seeing me once AND my son's world came crashing down ... so I was dissappointed but still working with her ... maybe I am too forgiving ... I have other supports and she is a sweet young thing ... I hope today goes well ... I am going to contradict her today ... nicely ... it takes a lot for me to contradict someone ... I have to reflect and think a lot before .... she said to me that it was worse to be in hospital than be a visitor ... maybe ... but in my case I want her to rethink that ... if she is going to be able to help us at all ... she has to see MY big picture ... that I actually have felt jealous ... of people in ICU ... as they were getting a level of supportive attention ... I never had ... then I was expected to support the loved one , without all the supports the psyche nurses had with their supervisors, meetings changing shifts and time to go home and sleep ....... now that I have a broader understanding of what is reasonable expectation ... I am finding the voice to challenge ... rather than just accept all that has been placed on my shoulders ...

Hey @Appleblossom  hearing you loud and clear about how difficult it is to be the support person when someone's in hospital, particularly for MH problems, without the support you need yourself.   You are right, your CoS needs to see and prioritise how it is for YOU.  I hope it went well when you challenged them and that you felt good about it afterwards.  All power to you for finding your voice.  

I am probably going to ditch my current CoS and try a new one after my trip.  Some of the things she does and says really grate me.   Will have to do some research and plan to get advice from my peer mentor who I will start working with when I get back.  She's from the community disability alliance and has had NDIS for 5 years, also for psychosocial reasons, so I'm really looking forward to more connection with her.

Thanks for the congrats.

The session with Cos went well. At first she denied saying it, I did not argue, but then later she realised and admitted it, so that augurs well for her honesty.  She asked me to trust her to manage things ... asked me what I wanted and what worked ... I said someone coming into the home,,, but not the cleaner ... and she wasked me what I did or did not like ... re gender age ... etc ...said she would set me up with a support worker ... for a few hours per week ...sounds like a plan ...

@eth 

Smiley Happy re my supports

... very heart and head weary about supports for my son.

Heart

Good on you for speaking up @Appleblossom  I'm glad you were able to get clear with her.  Remember, as They say (NDIS) - it's all about choice and control.  And having a voice and being heard are essential for that to come about.  

Sending all my best wishes that you are able to develop some good supports for your son too.  And maybe build into what you set up some respite for yourself.

Thank you @eth 

@Appleblossom @saturnzoon @Doglover @Alone @Ali11  and anyone else reading here.

Today was my OT and on-road assessment for MH specific driver training.  And my coordinator of supports told me 1/2 hr before it started that she wasn't coming.  Let me down big time AGAIN.

Luckily my bro was at home working today so before it started I told him (in tears) about what was happening.  He helped me calm down and have a plan for if things went wrong.  And thank goodness they didn't.  The (male) OT did his assessment in my cabin for 2 hours and then we went out on the road with a (male) instructor.  The OT came too and I was ok with him by then so felt a bit safer than if I'd had to go with the instructor alone.  The assessment part done at home was much more specific to driving than I'd imagined, lots of testing of different vision and reflex functions and an on-line practice at identifying things on the road and knowledge of road rules plus a lot of history taken. As always, it was really confronting having detailed disclosure with someone new.  He also took copies of reports from psychologist, GP team health plan, psychiatrist ...      It would want to be thorough as they are charging like a wounded bull.  Billing for 12 hrs, total nearly $3000, just for the OT assessment and reports.  I'm sure it would cost a lot less if it wasn't billable thru' my NDIS funds.  Pretty much rorting, but I had to have it done and there's no-one else doing it in this area.  Then the on-road lessons will be $380 per hour.  It's outrageous.  There's no way I'd be able to do it without NDIS.  I should have posted this on the 'anyone started with the NDIS?' thread  - will just do a copy and paste coz I'm still pretty tired.

Thanks again for your support everyone.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance