Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Anyone started with the NDIS?

Hi @Alone  I really want to give it my best shot before I give up on it (driving).  I'm fine with the mechanics of it but have huge anxiety about everyone else on the road.   Also a few years ago I had a blackout whilst in traffic and I have a phobia about this happening again.  About dissociating because of the level of anxiety.  But there is a company in my town that does MH specific driver training and I will give that a try at least.  If I was able to drive independently again my life would be completely changed for the better.  In so many ways.  At this stage I never go anywhere without a support person with me.  And I go through periods of being really frustrated with myself because of it.

@eth I am the same, I am fine with the mechanics (although my thinking and reaction time is slower now) but its the other people on the road who scare me.  Red lights were a problem as well.  I rarely go out without a support person, but  I've found having an invisible illness means that support companies just dont want to help sometimes.

Definately give it a go, once you give up its harder to start again.  

I was thinking I might be able to drive out on quiet country roads to gain some confidence, but the problem is getting out there from the middle of a busy city!  Oh, and not having a car makes it difficult!  🙂 

@Alone  I just checked out the company that does it and emailed them and my plan manager to find out more about costs and whether there's a way at all of having my NDIS funds cover it.  I've just posted more of the details in a conversation on the A Long Rave thread, where you are always welcome to join in.

Is there anyone who can drive you to the outskirts of town and you take over from there?  One of the very few drives I've done was up the valley to my brother's farm (he drove most of the way and I just took over for the last few kms).  I have to be able to do that drive in case there's ever an emergency, e.g. accident or fire, at the farm when there's no-one else up there.

@ethno, I'm on my own so there's noone to drive me.  I do have carers but currently they are only allowed to take me short distances in the local area.  Anything over 10 mins away and they complain.  Even going to a nice beach about 15 mins away on my birthday was cause for my carer to try and complain!  She was getting paid to support me to go out for 2 hours and didnt want to go anywhere except the shops across the road! (and I hate shopping).

Hopefully the NDIS will allow me to get some transport to go further distances, and not be made to feel guilty for wanting to go out and do things.

Hi @Alone   I suggest contacting the support worker's team leader and asking if there actually is a distance limit during supports.  All the ones I've ever had have been able to take me as far as 20+km away return plus running around closer to home.  Yours sounds really unreasonable.  I would tell the team leader that I'm not reaching my goals with such limited support.  Just a suggestion.  I used to have PHaMs before NDIS and even they were allowed to take me that far - they had to because that's where my psychiatrist is.

Sorry edit I see you are waiting for your first plan.  Does that mean you had your planning meeting already?  How long has it been?  Did you know you can ring them and ask for it to be 'escalated' if it's been delayed?

Hi @eth, I had my planning meeting about 2 weeks ago and then had to give her a little more information so it hasnt been long.  Prior to the NDIS I had community care support.  It was actually the coordinator for that who made the "only local area" rule.  In fact, when she was supposed to be helping me prepare for the NDIS, instead of helping she came out to my house with 2 other staff members and told me off for wanting to go further from home, and how unfair it was on the staff members.  She also knew I needed help making phone calls, and gave me a carer who didnt speak english!

She was really rude and wouldnt let me get a word in during the meeting.  She told me in front of them that my care was "a waste of government money".  My next carer put in a complaint about her, but we never heard back.  I've also put in multiple complaints higher up, and can't wait to get on the NDIS to get away from this company.

I had PHaMs previously and unfortunately also had a bad experience with the helper trying to force me into phone calls on our second meeting, even though they are a phobia for me.  

I think because I use health and fitness to deal with my mental health, I look really healthy so people think I dont need any help or support.

Thankfully the LAC was a really good experience, so I am hoping the NDIS will be different.

I really hope you have a better experience with the NDIS too @Alone .  Have you asked for a coordinator of supports?  I have one and they help you find suitable organisations for support workers that suit you and your needs.  The catch cry of the NDIS is 'choice and control' and you have the right to choose who and when you are supported.  

Plus if you are plan managed or self managed you can use Hireup - I highly recommend having a look at it and how it works.  Independent support workers who choose their own hours to suit you and who you can see a profile on and even interview before deciding if you want to go with them.

Hope your plan comes through soon for you and the changes are for the positive.

Today I'm sorting out implementation of my new NDIS plan when I can contact the necessary people, and have some tech challenges to do all that.  I don't know how to send emails from my phone, or how to scan documents, and there are a few things I need to sign and return.  No-one is at home here today to help me with it.  So i'm trying to get a face to face meeting.  

I'm glad I rested and had a day off all this stuff yesterday.  I knew today would involve this stuff.

The joy at having a new NDIS plan come through has quickly been overtaken by anxiety and OCD cyclic thinking about how to make it work well and how to keep up with things like new consent forms, new service agreements etc.  

@Alone @Appleblossom @Ali11 @Doglover @Teej  and anyone else following still.  Thanks everyone for your support.

CONGRATS ETH!!!!

Thanks @eth we asked for a coordinator of supports but the LAC said she doubted if I would be allowed one.  I noticed in a NDIS facebook group someone mentioned that some people are allocated a person just to help them get set up with providers so I am hoping for that.   

I've joined mable.com so that I can look into private carers and a few look interesting.  I need to be careful though as I am on my own so a company that keeps track of where people take me could be a good thing.  I havent been able to join hireup yet as I dont have anyone to give me a reference, and feel that asking my current carer who will be replaced for one isnt very kind to them. 

What sort of help do you need with scanning and sending emails from your phone?  If I can help I will, feel free to send me a message .. if we can do that on this site!  My iphone is still new to me but I have worked out the emailing bit 🙂 

and congrats on your plan of course.  I hope mine comes through soon!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance