Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

AshJoe
Casual Contributor

Adjustment disorder, stress, panic attacks

Hi, I have been experiencing workplace bullying, I stood up the managers, I did not realise how much the bullying was affecting me.  One day I had enough and called them all the names under the sun, I was sent off to have a mental health assessment done, severe stress, anxiety and adjustment disorder.  This was all caused by a change of roster dispute.  A simple solution was there, but they refused to help with two shifts I had family commitments with.  I am now changing stores, of course a new roster has to be done, I have legal help, but already I can feel the anxiety and stress building up.  I have already disputed just one shift, they then came up with a different roster, which is so far from what I work now.  HR know the stress etc I went through, they know it led to adjustment disorder, they have the mental health assessment.  

I feel I am going to break down again, I need to work, but I feel the company is no help at all.

Any tips on how to stay calm, I don't want the levels of stress and 

anxiety I have already been through.  I have legal help, they say they are there to take the stress away.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Adjustment disorder, stress, panic attacks

Hi @AshJoe  and welcome to the forums. It's great that you have reached out.  I can hear that you're really having big challenges sorting things out with your employer.  Doesn't sound like they are listening to your needs.  While I haven't worked for a long time, I can feel your frustration and anxiety.  I'm going to tag @Adge  and @BlueBay and @Angels333  @Shaz51 @TAB @Flying_Hams as I think you might have some advice or be able to support @AshJoe here.   Please tag anyone else who you know is employed and could have suggestions for them.

Take care @AshJoe  I'm sure you will find the support of people with shared experiences.  As people are not always on the forums, sometimes it might take a little time to get a response.  

Hi @AshJoe  sorry, not much use, my solution to work problems is to leave. Have done this over and over again

I know, I am ready to walk, but in this very unstable economic climate, I need to work.  As I said I have a legal team, but I just have no confidence in any systems.

Thanks 

Hi @AshJoe

It's a tough one hey. I empathise with you on that. My workplace has been a source of trouble and stress personally too.

I think you are making some headway into the problem you are talking about by getting help from HR and legal. I hope that gets sorted.

It's Such a tough time generally isn't it.

Please feel free to share more if you feel that way or just be around the forum

Hey @AshJoe  I  have anxiety at work too.   But yours is different, it sounds like your rights are being respected, giving you a roster that effects time with your family. 

Are you in a union?   It might be time to give the union a phone call.

My work stress is about me not feeling capable at my job, even though I have 20 years experience and have many achievements to my name.   It's a core beliefs issue...

Thanks @Angels333 , yes the union are now handling it all.  Just so much unnecessary stress after the last roster change with the managers, who turned out to be bullies as they did not get what they want.

HR know the stress and anxiety it caused me, yet they now want to take it to the FWC, let the union fight them.

So on top of another roster change, I have to move stores and leave all my workmates behind, 5 years we have been a team. 

I hate the panic is causes me, I never know what the company are gonna throw at me next, I wish I could just walk away, I need to work, I am looking for another job  but it is a scary world out there at the moment which adds to the stress and anxiety, I don't want to go to the place I went to last time.  It was a very sad lonely place. 

Thanks 

@AshJoe  thanks for the reply.  You sound very insightful about your situation.    I just arrived at work so can't really talk much...

XOXO ANGELS333 

Hi @AshJoe 

thought I'd pop in and say hi. I don't know Whst to say. I was made redundant 4 days before Christmas over the phone. 
i hope you can get this all sorted out. It's very stressing for you. It will be hard to leave your co-workers especially after 5 years. 

@AshJoe  I am so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time at work.   It is just awful when management are bullies..  

I have just endure six month of this... unfortunately in the end I could no longer fight it and had to resign (and then 2 days later I received a letter to say had I not left they would have terminated me anyway... so that is what they will put on my record).... I am still not 100% sure what I even did to cause it all and why it all happened.... 23+ years of dedicated service and bang... over....

my mental health has suffered big time.... I have cried almost constantly... I have lost all my confidence.... but I have to try and keep going

stay strong.... keep the union up to date with everything... keep notes... times, dates, everything 

I am thinking of you 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance