Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A long rave

Heart to you too @Appleblossom  Thanks for your comments.  My usual go to is to say I have health challenges - it's none of most people's business what they are and usually stops the 'and what do you do?' stuff when meeting new people.  But in the right circles e.g. with the disability alliance people, I am more open about what those challenges are.  If my experiences can help anyone else it feels really good - I really would like to regain the feeling that I have something to contribute to the world.

Great to hear your weekend went well.

So pleased to hear you have had another great weekend @Appleblossom They are becoming more regular for you and that truly is wonderful to hear.

There is a movement away from talking about MH in those terms and instead looking at mental wellbeing - I personally do not think it matters but it is being talked about in terms of mental and physical wellbeing in schools also,

The weekend was Professional Development and a few teachers were there.  SO just wearing different hats, but ... I like this speech that touches on the whole person.

by Tim Minchin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdtCuC5mLeQ&fbclid=IwAR2ERloTQdwpSlCcZvQvDvQYH0STgItwe7BwE3Uu250MWYv... 

Hi @eth , thanks for the tag. I wldnt know what a peaceful day looks or feels like. Every day is torture and torment. I find it rly depressing that I'm on a forum for people with mental health issues and am in by far the worst state of everyone. I see people engage and chat and share and live varying degrees of normal lives,at least in some aspects, and I don't have any of that. My whole life is a mess and I can't function normally in any way. Don't know if I shld post this as it's such a depressing post.

I'm sorry to dump eth. Youl regret tagging me now!

Hello @Doglover  I don't regret tagging you at all, it sounds like someone reaching out to you is a good thing.  I'm so sorry to hear life is so difficult for you at this time.   And I can assure you that your post reaching to me in return is heard and I'm sending you all the support I can.  The fact you are able to write out what's going on is a good sign that gives me hope, if only I could sit with you I would.  So I'm doing it 'virtually'.  I'm a shoulder you can lean on  Heart

One thing about the forums is that you are never judged, no matter how bad things get.  That's why we're here.   Over the time I've been on the forums I've had times that bad too (several times), and have seen lots of folk hit the bottom and then gradually climb back up again.  Sometimes that involves the whole 3 steps forward 2 steps back thing (well most times).  So please never feel that you shouldn't post, no matter what's going on.  Occasionally you might even get an email from the team at sane, they are checking in with you to see how you're going and make some suggestions to resources beyond the forums.

I hope you have someone in your offline life that you can really talk openly with, like psychologist, psychiatrist, counsellor or even a good GP.  Having that sort of health team in my life is one of the main reasons I am currently able to stay afloat, but it's a relatively recent thing for me to be able to do so.  I'm 56 and it took until I was 54 for anyone to get my meds right and give me therapy that actually works for me.  I spent most of the rest of my life either with paralysing major depression or sometimes so manic that I went into psychosis.

Here is a diagram that describes what a mental health recovery journey can like :  

Image result for mental health recovery diagram

This is how it's been and still is for lots and lots of us here.  It's so hard to be patient and goal focused and for me it took years to even be able to form goals - when I was asked what they were I would just burst into tears.  

Hoping that this message reaches you this morning.  I'll be around for a while if you do want to talk.  On a bad day for me It's about taking 10 minutes at a time, not even and hour or a day.  Something that can really help is finding self-nurturing activities that at least take your mind off your troubles briefly, there's a thread called coping box   https://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/Coping-Box/td-p/20101/highlight/true/page/13  that might help you with some ideas.

Take care my friend.  You are not alone xx

Yes @Appleblossom , Tim Minchin is quite brilliant.  Hope today is peaceful for you xx

What a day it's been ......... on top of my meeting with my coordinator of supports which went ok, I got through it without her realising I am about to replace her, and I got the necessary outstanding paperwork sorted ........ that was kind of eclipsed by a new friend sending a group message that they wanted to quit life a couple of hours before my meeting.  I offered her as much support and suggestions as I could come up with but she stopped responding and I couldn't reach her again until a little while ago.  Made all the same suggestions as I would if it happened here - referrals, self-care suggestions, resources ...  Needless to say she was on my mind all day.   Life gets so real some times.  I was really torn about whether to alert authorities or not to do a welfare check on her, but I knew this would really escalate her too.  Plus I don't know where she lives anyway.  So I decided to do what I had to do (my meeting) and check on her later, which I tried a few times.  Eventually hearing from her and her main concern now seems to be not having money for smokes!  I feel like I've been through the mill today and so confused about whether I was right to be so alarmed or whether my own past experience coloured my reactions.   Lost for words a bit and feeling so many feelings.

@Appleblossom @Zoe7 @Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51 @Teej @frog @outlander @CheerBear  @Lauz @nashy @s-jay   Not sure who else to tag.  You all know me pretty well by now.   I know you've all got a lot happening in your own lives but I could do with some connection at the moment.

Thanks for reading.

That is a really worrying sort of day @eth hearing from someone who says things about ending life and then no replies is so daunting and worrying but im glad you reached her and i hope that she may get herself some help in finances and/or other issues she has to move forward in life. For me when i hear/read that sort of thing i go right into worry/panic mode and i think thats normal for anyone really.

Have you got anything caming and nice for this arvo to help those nerves out?

What I'd like to do is have a chat with my bro but his wife's aunty is extremely unwell and could pass away any time;  he only got back last night and sil is going to see the aunt tomorrow so tonight they just need to hang out with each other.   No-one I can debrief with other than here on the forums.  Thanks for your reply @outlander.  Will go watch telly at 6 - they say it's the opiate of the nation so maybe it will work for me.  I could take a prn but prefer not to - will see how I'm going later tonight about that.

@outlander  burning some sandalwood insence - it's pretty calming.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance