Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Neb
Senior Contributor

tummy stuff

I have had my lap band removed last Thursday.....alleluia! Removed laparoscopically so not too bad. When the pain kicks in, it feels as if I was tenderised with a mattock before the actual slicing and dicing! Tolerating the free fluid diet, this is to allow healing around the area most affected by the band. I am going to relearn to eat with a dietician and a psychologist, so this is all very hopeful.

So, why do I feel frantic? The overnight stay in hospital was okay, met up with some staff that remembered me. I was impressed by the surgical ward being obsessively tidy....warmed the cockles of my heart, the critical care portion was okay too ( just a few hours monitoring due to medical history).

No horrible flashbacks etc! I think.....I am afraid I will be a loser again, and I so much want to be able to enjoy food but not obsess about it. That old cliche.....eat to live, not live to eat.

How do you overcome crippling anxiety, there are many things I would love to do, but can't take that first step. This is something that everyone experiences when taking a step in a new direction. I am frightened of failure, being hurt, being scared, being a coward!
2 REPLIES 2

Re: tummy stuff

Hi @Neb

Thanks for your post! 

It sounds like you are happy to have the lap band removed despite all the pain involved, so good luck with all of that!

I noted that you mentioned that everyone experiences anxiety etc when taking a step in a new direction, this may be true, but don't feel like you need to underplay how you feel. We all have a right to express our feeling of anxiety, or sadness, this is all healthy and important for us, its how we begin to work through those feelings. 

Stay strong, and if you need to talk about whats going on for you, you can always come online and post of the forum, or access Lifeline on 13 11 14 if you want to just chat with someone about the feelings.

Feel better soon

Outlanderali

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: tummy stuff

overall, i think i hear a bit of excitement about the possibilities out there @Neb, and hopefully that will help you to find the courage to step into the unknown and test things out. Sounds like you have already got supports in place with the dietician and psychologist which is also awesome! You've planned for this and you've done it! Well done 😄 I would say keep talking with the psychologist about the fears and how to keep them in check, challenge them etc. Ive been reading 'Change your thinking' which my psych suggested and it has great ideas about how to challenge anxieities and things. Still hard to do but it is possible...

Congratulations on this huge step! I hope that your recovery continues to be smooth and the free fluid diet is not for too long!

LJ

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance