Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Denv12
Senior Contributor

What makes you laugh?

This topic ought to get people distracted on happy things.My question is:

What makes you laugh? A good movie? Something silly? Lets get it out and get some laughs.

I love stand up comedy.We all need a good laugh.A funny movie will always do me well.Laughing at inappropriate things at times.(hey,we all do it whether you admit it or not).Funny pets now they made me laugh.Reading a good how to book thats written deliberately with a sense of humour.A good example is a book I bought called "How to chat up women" By Stewart Ferris.One of the funniest books I ever read.

I bought the short version then read it then bought the long version.What a laugh.I kept the book.

I love sitting at the piano when I'm feeling cheery and make up words to songs for fun.I'll write about some funny things our group of friends did/said.

Its over to all of you.The question is,what makes you laugh?

Thanks.

Chris.

18 REPLIES 18

Re: What makes you laugh?

What a fun conversation! Thanks for the idea Denv12.

I'm a fan a black humour and irony - helps me see the brighter side of a dark situation. I partiuclarly Stand Up For Mental Health. 

One thing that I can't enough that I think my friends and family are tired of (I'm sure I fill their email and facebook pages with it) is silly dog memes like this oneSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Also, check out this video

Giggling babies.  I can't resist the sound of a baby giggling and it's guaranteed to lift my mood even if only temporarily.  I don't have a baby though but a close second is watching my dog pull faces.

Mia.jpg

Meerkats make me laugh and I have no idea why, I suspect maybe I have become a convert from the ads! Simples!
Month Python, Ripping Yarns and to read, Paddington Bear still, Grimble by Clement Freud and funny crime novellas like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels.
To listen..goon show and Carl Barron.
And yes Denv, I definitely agree, it is sooo hard not to laugh sometimes when people are trying to be really serious or earnest...
As a colleague of mine said many years ago with a kidney transplant, life is meant to be enjoyed and not endured..so laughing falls into the helping when we are enduring the tough spells😄

Let me preface with I worked in aged care, so when youcombine that with having a MI I think you can imagine just how dark my humour is. I am attracted to the absurd, the irrational and sarcastic side of humour which is why satire appeals so deeply. John Oliver's Last Week Tonight is a prime example of how satire can be used to educate through humour.

To me humour is also a defense, when you step back and look at the pure absurdity of a situation, deconstruct it and try to imagine it from the point of view of someone who has no understanding or even reference point it becomes hilarious. Serioulsy. Try it. think about some of the things we say to each other or too clinicians, heck think of some of the things clinicians say to each other and they become funny. Without going into detail,e ven the some of the termonology we used in Aged Care became hilarious once you were able to distance yourself a little. For example when working with a person new to Nursing you might forget taht 'finger painting' is a very different thing in their mind.

Lastly I take every opportuntiy to laugh at myself. Sometimes it may seem I have had a 'tragic life', but looking back at some of those moments when things seemed dark, I turn my head, shift my gaze slightly and the whole thing becomes a Patrick White play, absurd without context, beautiful in it's complexity and it takes on the beauty of a Supernova. Nice to see from a distance, anyone up close might disagree!

You might enjoy the British comedy, Clocking on. Its set in a hospital on a geriatric unit. Very dark and very very funny...

Ok this is going to sound odd, I get a laugh out of teasing my parent s and getting a rise out of them.... I am quite open about my mh with them and rake pleasure in making the uncomfortable comments in regards to my health.
Just tonight over dinner I said out loud jeez how crazy does one have to be to get the salt lmao
my mum gets defensive oh your not like that it cracks me up..... she bites every time

You mean "Getting On," Sandy.

Jo Brand = I love her.

Russell Brand = Calm down mate!

I did and I love Jo Brand..have often wondered ifcruseel is her son as she had a child later in life...also a fan if Miranda ciz so old school! And recently bought porridge to introduce boys to Ronnie Barker..would love to find copies of Kenny Everett video cassette;!

Not related.

I remember seeing an early Russell Brand show, in which he challenged his, very working class and tough-as-nails, dad to a proper boxing match. It was very sad.

I don't like his humour, his voice is way too high pitched for me, and he didn't make enough of an effort to keep Katy Perry happy. Fool.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance