Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

What do you do when you are feeling sleep deprived to get going?

Hi all. I'm just wondering what you do when you haven't slept well or much and it affects your mood. Does anyone have tricks to get themselves going?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: What do you do when you are feeling sleep deprived to get going?

I've been awake half the night and have been lying in bed for three hours now battling the vortex of being pulled into a depression day. I really want to establish better habits and sleep but realised I'm not sure how best to motivate myself when I don't get sleep. I am trying to find new ways of finding consistency. Any ideas appreciated except I'm not quite ready to greet the sun one yet @Kurra😝  But I hope to one day. I'm such a baby steps person with this. 

I just dont think about it and just keep going, down deep I think I'm scared that if I stop I will stop for a long time so I just make myself do something.  Usually if its the weekend and I feel like that I go out and do some gardening if its nice or play with the dog to tire myself out more if its a work day I just go in and pretend basically.  I also find doing something nice for yourself can help, buy a treat, make a treat just have a coffee and enjoy the sunshine.  If I'm really bad and at home I distract myself constantly, if I simply cant do anything I will watch movies or something to lift my mood and spend time with my dog. Basically I try to stop myself from thinking about my depression.

Also if I havent had enough sleep and need to keep going I will have a berrocca (VIT B) to give me a boost.

Hope your day gets better @Former-Member

Thank you @Change123. I finally realised that it was not just sleep but I'm really hormonal as well but thanks because it helps me to see what others are doing to get through. I have been to my mindfulness class which helped but it took everything I had to be 'mindful' today. Hopefully today gets better from here. Cheers 💜😊

Hi @Former-Member

I bought some 'sleep tea' from the T2 shop and have just started using it.  It is really nice and I am not sure but the past two nights I have slept better.  But also last night i was given a tablet at the ED.

I have tried meditation app on my phone and even counting backwards - sometimes it works and other times it doesn;t.

i really hate when you can't sleep, you feel like a complete wreck the next day.  I;m like you when it's hormonal, actuyally this week i am hormonal which probably indicates why i am so bad mentally 😞 

didn't think to tell this new psych that.  oh well can't remember everything.

what about a walk, can you go for a walk.

Ha ha here's me drowning in self hate and depression and i am giving you advice, can't even take my own advice.  what a pathetic person i am 😞

i really hope you can find someything this afternoon, i sometimes think that the more we think of NOT sleeping the harder it is to get to sleep.

good luck @Former-Member xxxooo

Hi @Former-Member

I think hormones play a huge part especially in BPD, when I did DBT a lot of us women suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (basically BPD rage on steriods) which usally happens just before my periods.

Something else that has helped me in regards to herbal medications is I take Natures Way Nighttime Anti Stress for Women and it has something I think lemon balm in it that makes you sleepy and relaxes you.  For me it gets me sleepy and relaxes me before I go to bed, also Valerian (root of valerian plant - mild sedative) as worked well for me previously

But I think we all need to becareful when taking vitamins due to the industry not being regulated (refer Catalyst)

According to Catalyst since the industry is not regulated they can literally put anything they want into the meds and often things they have quoted on the package as being an ingredient isnt always in there.

@BlueBay I can say this because I think I have said the same on here - DONT BE RIDICULOUS! you are not pathetic we are all so good at what we are meant to do so giving advice seems good but we find it hard to actually do it - thats the nature of the illness. Otherwise if you continue on this vein I will get my boy to speak to your Jersey girl and then you will be in trouble!!!!! 🙂 ha ha seriously though you are not pathetic from what I have seen you are a very kind, caring person!

Hi @Change123
I know I'm not pathetic I'm just not good today. Can u imagine your dog and jersey. She may give yours a good run. 😊Thank you for your kind words. Xxxooo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance