Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

Thread: Songs you love.

I thought I would start this thread. Music has got me by in life, Most times it's been my only friend and I like music because at times that's the only real true thing in my life. I thought we could share music we love. Maybe learn some new artists and it's also a great way to connect with others on many levels. 

I LOVE BILLY IDOL. I have been listening to this particular song for a few weeks now. 

https://youtu.be/ClxXDfvtoj0

47 REPLIES 47

Re: Thread: Songs you love.

@Powderfinger  Hey Powderfinger I also love Billy :Dx Here is my fave Billy song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL1C340A026A5979C8&v=VdphvuyaV_I

I also love grunge particularly Nirvana and Alice in Chains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOJEcEkR1a8

@greenpea 

Oh, I absolutely love rebel yell. That is probably my second fav at the moment, followed by white wedding and then eyes without a face. 

I have not listened to much of Alice in Chains but I will listen to would. Thanks!

Great idea for a thread @Powderfinger❤️ Your username reminds me of the Australian band, whose lead guitarist, Darren Middleton, has since gone on to release a bunch of his own stuff. One of my favourites is Storms- I find some of the lyrics a bit encouraging and reassuring when I'm not feeling so great. Not to mention the rain sounds at the start are a nice added bonus to listen to! My own username was a bit inspired by Tidal Wave by Owl City, another song I'm fond of.  

Also going to tag @Former-Member, who I'm pretty sure will like this thread a whole lot! 😊

@TideisTurning 

It's why I chose my name as I love the band. I actually haven't listened to them a lot lately. I don't know their newest stuff. I like their older stuff. Many of their songs. Most of them for me though are filled with sadness. I'm pretty temperamental with music. I find it hard to listen to when Im trying to be strong and the music is sad. 

Storms sounds interesting. When I'm able to cope I will have a listen to it. I also have not heard of Owl City, I will give them a listen too. I think sharing music is awesome and something most people love. I have often said, if someone told me I need to choose between television and music. Music would win hands down. I could live without television. 

Oh cool @Powderfinger! I'm not as familiar with Powderfinger as I am with Darren's stuff, but I feel like he's got a general easy listening, softer vibe with a little rock influence. 

That's fair- you don't want something to bring you further down when you're not feeling great! I once came across an app- you were supposed to be able to connect it with your iTunes library (or similar I suppose) and put in where you felt like you were at emotionally, where you wanted to be and it'd recommend songs to get you there. It was a great concept, but I could never make it work unfortunarely. Instead, I ended up making a playlist of songs I could listen to when I didn't feel great- Storms was my number 1,  

That's one thing I like about Owl City in particular too- the songs can cover some quite deep & heavy topics lyrically, but the tone of the music is generally quite upbeat and happy sounding. I Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you do take a listen to them! 

Yes, definitely! Music is awesome!!

Former-Member
Not applicable

Paramore is definitely a huge influence on me.

Their entire latest album, After Laughter, is very relevant to mental health.. in fact it was the first album since the captain, Hayley Williams, got Anxiety. "26" especially is really heartwarming and simultaneously heartwrenching LOL. On the previous, self-titled, album, there is a song called "Hate to See Your Heart Break", and that is oddly comforting too. I swear, someone should make an hour-long loop of the outro to that song.

There's also really intensely uplifting songs, like Breath of Life by Florence and the Machine, Shake It Out by Florence and the Machine and Fight Song by Rachel Platten.

I guess it depends on what you're going through. Some of my favourite breakup songs are Torn by Natalie Imbruglia, Since You've Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson and Gravity by Sara Bareilles (the Little Voice album version.)

There are also some love songs.. most love songs break my heart, but there are some that really emulate the kind of love I want to give. The 2006 ARIA Awards version of Watch Over Me is [...] amazing. I want to learn how to sing, and sing that at my wedding if that ever happens. It's a trio with Kasey Chambers, Clare Bowditch and Powderfinger captain Bernard Fanning. Another love song I really appreciate is Who'd Have Known by Lily Allen, it is so simple and comfortable.

I could talk a fair bit about this, but I'll stop LOL. Good luck :).

Great idea @Powderfinger I love music it definetly helps with alot of emotions ect I tend to have alot of favourite songs as I tend to listen to songs that I relate to for a particular reason or the mood Im in at the time ,Ive got a thing for sad songs but do enjoy all types of music mostly pop and rock too but also those sad songs that are full of like someones life story or deep things that there able to express through music some of my favourite singers are Sia,Adele,Jessica Mauboy,Queen,Birdy,Prince,ColdPlay,Lana Del Rey and lots moreHeart

Definitely like soul music too

@TideisTurning @greenpea @Former-Member @LostAngel 

I have been reading and I have respondes. I will get there. I'm snowed under with work and a strict time schedule to get a specific order out by Friday. As soon as I have some free time I will respond. I have been listening to the music you listen to and also @LostAngel @Former-Member you have mentioned some of my faves. Will post again later. Got to get to work. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance