Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Danzig
Contributor

Struggling to find a psychologist

I really am trying, I didn't think it would be so hard to get an appointment without planning months in advance.  I thought I had done well getting a mental health care plan, my anxiety was a daily issue leading up to that GP appointment, I thought everything would be easier once I got through that.  Then I started trying to arrange a psychologist appointment, I guess this is what I get for not living in a big city.  Anyone who is still taking appointments seems to be minimum a month out to get a booking, it doesn't help that I'm pretty much incapable of making a phone call about this, so I've been sending as many enquiry emails as I can, which realistically is only a few so far.  
I'm at a point of not even caring if they're a good fit, just trying to find out if I can get an appointment at all, no luck so far.  The whole thing has just made me feel worse, I'm constantly anxious about it, I'm wasting time at work trying to get an appointment and continually finding out it's nearly impossible.  
At some point I'm going to have to concede that trying to get help is actually going to do more harm than good.  I really thought I was heading in the right direction.....  I guess I'll follow up with my GP later this week, but I'm starting to think I might genuinely be better off convincing my GP everything is fine, maybe it will be if I stop stressing myself out about appointments.... Maybe I'll get something helpful back from one of the enquiries I made, I don't think I've got it in me to keep wasting time searching

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Struggling to find a psychologist

Hey @Danzig

I am really sorry to hear that your experience has been a challenging one. It can be so frustrating when we are doing all the right things and not feeling that it is not helping. I encourage you to keep on reaching out and I really hope that something good can come from these enquiries. It is hard sometimes not to be put off by long wait times but you deserve to get that support. 

Take good care of yourself

Peregrinefalcon

@DanzigHi Danzig I am desperate to find a good psychologist. I really want one that I click with as there are so many ordinary ones out there who just dont get it.

Hi @Danzig 

Firstly welcome to the Sane Forums.

I totally understand how hard it is to get into seeing a psychologist. I am waiting a month too to see my new psych after my old psych quit her job. It is such a hard thing to make an appointment for.

I will say however that most psychologists have a cancellation list that your name can be put on. It might be worth calling up some of the places and see if your name can be added to the list. That way you might not have to wait a month.

Please feel free to keep posting on here, we are here to support you too.

Hello @Danzig 

Managing mental health is not easy, and services are under pressure with Covid.  I too have beed upset about caring about the waitlists for getting services, and then not getting any therapy.  Maybe on your next visit with gp, rather than pretending all is fine, maybe ask if you can see them til psychologist comes thru.

Sometimes it is hard to feel like we matter.  You do. Take Care. 

Apple

Thanks everyone, it does help to know that it's not an uncommon problem, although that's a depressing thought on its own.
I guess I just can't help but think that those appointments might be better used with someone else, if it's that hard to get in, then I must be beating someone to an appointment if I finally get one.
Although I've only had the one appointment with my GP, I feel like I can trust her, so I will probably try and level with her.  But I feel so much better about the thought of giving up the search, at least for now.  Still somewhere in the back of my mind there's a voice of reason telling me to take suicidal thoughts more seriously this time around, I never made it to the GP step before, so that's a positive.  Just a little disheartened with the whole process.

Hearing the struggle @Danzig- it's so disheartening! I'm glad to hear you may've found a supportive professional you click with in your GP and that you've had the courage to take that step. Please know it's ok to ask for help if you're struggling- you are so deserving of that. There are also places you can reach out to like Lifeline (13 11 14) or Sane's Helpcentre if you'd like to speak to someone 1:1 non-urgently- both have a call centre and webchat services. 

Hi @Danzig feeling for your difficulty in finding a psychologist. I have indeed heard it is especially hard outside cities.

Do you know that the government is giving Medicare subsidies for 'Telehealth' consultations with psychologists? If I was in your position, I would do some Google searches on psychologists outside of your local area, perhaps starting with the nearest big city. I have found a good psychiatrist and psychologist that way in recent years. My psychologist and I do all sessions via an app on the phone.

Hearing your struggle with phones. I am similar and always prefer email to telephone. Thing is, email is a very efficient way of doing things like this, much less stressful as I have time to get my thoughts together and any replies I get are there in black and white to go back to if I've forgotten something that I or they said.

Wishing you good luck!

I remember all the times I refused a referral because what's the point?

I finally gave in because what was the point of declining anymore? (Ironic I know).

It took me months to find someone, when I finally did I thought "Finally!"

I am still currently seeing them but it has never felt like a good fit.

I want to look for someone else but my life is just too busy, and as you know it can be such a pain in the ass trying to find anyone in the first place.

Did you know that it can take up to 10 years to find the right treatment?

I know this is all sounding very negative, but point is keep trying, be persistent, you will find the right treatment and you deserve it.

Don't give up so soon, I wish you all the best and good luck.

Thank you, I really appreciate all the support.  I did get a couple of replies back from psycholgist offices, but still looking at late April or May for the places that got back to me at all.  In the end I had to start a spreadsheet of who I had contacted, some at least said they weren't taking new patients on their sites.  It's just a big shock, I don't know how people deal with this when they're in need of help, maybe it's on me for waiting so long, I guess the being in Victoria probably doesn't help availability this year.  I should time falling apart better next time!  
Back to the GP tomorrow to discuss medication, I didn't have any capacity to think about that last week, I was surprised when she brought it up, I guess I was too busy worrying about disclosing things to think about where I was going after that.
In the meantime I'm doing my best to do all the things I enjoy, staying as positive as I can.  Hopefully another discussion with the GP will heap settle my anxiety a little, would be nice to just take a day off from that.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance