Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

PeppiPatty
Community Elder

Stories of Recovery and Healing.

Hello All,

How are you? 

Does anyone have good news stories of their own lives..... after bad MI stories ? 

I would like very much to read of little steps in recovery……no matter where your journey is.  Everyone is so original and courageous. 

I am very mindful I do not want to trigger anyone. If you just want to write….......

"Dear PeppiPatty, I am now crossing the road……."

that is gutsy enough for me !!

In the 30s and 40s, in America, my Grandparents were well known lawyers. They started up a legal aid type fund for men in death row. I still have a couple of letters that a man wrote to my Grandmother in the 1940s !

In 1953, the Rosenbergs were executed for something that they didn’t do and my Grandfather advised the many lawyers who were defending them. When these two poor people were executed, my Grandfather had a nervous breakdown on the unfairness of it all. He never properly recovered. The American Government executed this lovely married couple of selling secrets to the Russians. But of course,  they didn’t ..it was because of the heightened anxiety of other things happening in America at that time.

My husband and I have contacted the Granddaughter of The Rosenbergs and am emailing her. Did you know that the Rosenbergs Ethel  and Julius Rosenberg had two sons who were passed from family to family. People were too scared to care for them. They ended up being adopted and when they grew up, they started up a fund for children in similar circumstances than what they went through. 

What a wonderful story after such bad bad tragedy. 

PP

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Stories of Recovery and Healing.

Dear @PeppiPatty Lovely to see you again.  I did miss you your perky posts. 

I am feeling good right at the moment. I just had a little music practise with my son and he is singing a very beautiful song.  He worked hard to translate the Russian into something meaningful for him.  It just makes me feel mummyproud. It just shows how much he has matured and that there is music out there that really suits his personality. 

doing a great job @Appleblossom

Apple, Ille write more tonight but liked very much what you wrote to @Former-Member

🙂

Hello @PeppiPatty, @Appleblossom

it is great to see you xx

Hello  @janedoe2, How are you today ??

Stories of Recovery and Healing.--- Love to hear your story and how things are for you and your husband

thanks @Shaz51@Appleblossom !!

thanks @Shaz51@Appleblossom !!

Hello @PeppiPatty my friend HeartHeart

Hello @Former-Member, how are you tonight ??

really good,

Im really excited because we bought 5 books of the same author and he's also signing them for us.

I cam't wait !!

How is your husband? How are the children?

How are you ?

Speak soon

Dear Peppi Patty

Feeling grateful that we are possibly close to a diagnosis for hubby.
Feeling grateful that he has remained stable whilst coming off crisis meds following an attempt.
Feeling grateful that the doctor he has been seeing has put in place a treatment plan that is clear and concise.
Feeling grateful that I was advised to look things up and learn about mental health conditions and their treatment. The result of this was that I put together a chart, documenting symptons, drugs trialled (including dosages) and hospitalisations, highlighting significant life events. This assisted the treating team greatly as hubby had been seen by many clinicians and has tried many meds.
Grateful too that there is free support available through groups like beyond blue, Wellways, carers Aust etc
Feeling grateful that whilst we are probably not quite in full recovery mode, we have transitioned from sustained crisis.

Still a way to go, but holding on to defiant hope that hubby will be able to live well in spite of a mental health diagnosis.

Hello @PeppiPatty, @Appleblossom'

I have been wondering to put one of my stories here or if the Mods want to move it somewhere else -- that is ok too , I have thought for a while to share my story -- so here goes my friends xx

when I was 27 , I started to have mindgrains everyday , anything would set it off, a light from a passing car , anything , if i took some panadol early i would be ok except for a heavy headache , but if i didn`t take panadol early i would have to go through the whole cycle , being so sick that i had to go to hospital to have a needle , this went on for ages , the doctor didn`t know what it was .

one night at a 11pm , I could not breah, it was soo scary , the ambulance came and took me to hospital , the doctor gave me some panadol and sent me home

well a week later at 1am , i screamed out , mum rang the ambulance , by the time the ambulance came , I was having near death experience which i was going to a bright light , mum thought i was dead , I was going far away looking down at mum and the ambulance man until he brought me back with oxygen

I ended up in hospital for a week , had hundreds of tests done and they found out i developed Epilepsy, There was a black spot in my brain , which they gave me medication which gave me Depression and weight gain

for the next 3 years I suffered from depression, hurting  myself , hating myself , I had my own childcare business and mum helped me sooo much , but the weekends were my worst and Mum felt so helpless to help me , I would cry all weekend , hurting  myself and so on

I followed the doctors orders and after 3 years he did a scan and the big black spot on my brain was gone , he could not believed it , he called it amazing and asked if he could take my case to melbourne

well coming off the tablets was another scary story as i would wake up in the middle of the night screamim]ng because i forgot my tablets

so sometimes people will say you dont know what it is like to have depression -- Guess what I DO KNOW SO !!!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance