Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Bismuth
Senior Contributor

Setting up a routine difficulties

Hi, I’m 32, diagnosed with schizophrenia since I was 13. As well as my symptoms, I have akathisia from my meds. A combination of avolition and akathisia make it extremely hard to start tasks, or continue with tasks once I’ve started. I’m somehow limping along and managing to get the essentials done (mostly), but it’s chaotic and I always feel on the edge of out of control.

Does anyone who knows about these things have tips on how to set and stick to a routine so I can manage life better?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Setting up a routine difficulties

Firstly, welcome to the forums @Bismuth !

You sound like such an inspiration in being able to push through such challenges and hurdles to get to where you are know.

I hear that things are tough at the moment, so I hope members of the forum community will be able to share their strategies with you.

For me, I find writing lists helpful. I like to be able to cross things off the list as I do them. I gives me a sense of achievement. Also, I make sure I set achievable goals for that day. For example, I know how much I can or can't do that day. So if I'm not feeling to flash, I wouldn't expect myself to cut trees or mow the lawn. For that day, my goal could just be to get up and shower.

Hope this helps a bit!

Welcome to the forum @Bismuth . It’s good to read that you’re managing to get your essential day to day tasks done, even almost is good. I’ve recently started doing progressive muscle relaxation exercises and was thinking this may help with your problem of akathisia. Maybe Google a YouTube video and see how you feel about giving it a go. I’m sorry I can’t offer any other advice regarding completing tasks. My daughter has schizophrenia and also lacks motivation mainly due to her meds but does occasionally find the will somehow. I hope other forum members can shed a brighter light on this for you. Moment by moment. Take good care 🙏

Thanks @tyme  

Lists are definitely a good idea. I have a wall calendar that is helpful to stop me forgetting appointments, so I should give lists a go. Thanks for the suggestion!

😘 @Bismuth 

I agree with @tyme . Also a paper old fashioned diary is fantastic. You can write everything you need to stay organised . You can write little notes about your day if you wish and when you reflect it will help you to remember that time and day . I used to try and use my phone but I’ve found I’m a lot more organised with a paper diary. 

Hi @SMTW @Bismuth 🙂

How are things?

I was just reading through these posts again, and wanted to say that I like monthly diaries. It gives be a general overview of what's happening for the month.

I just to have day-by-day diaries, but it found it too bulky and I couldn't 'see' what was happening in my head.

Thinking of you both, tyme

Hi @Bismuth, I certainly can relate to this. This has been one of my biggest challenges and Still is.

But I’ve come across something recently that’s helping more than anything I’ve tried so far, it’s just a simple app called Microsoft to do and I try and set myself very basic simple tasks on how I feel when I wake up and when I tick my tasks off  it makes it really cool ding and crosses it out and it  feels like a achievement, which boosts my motivation. 

and I always try to be mindful. It’s OK if I can’t finish my list or finish the big task I thought I could do in the morning but ended up falling in a heap in the middle of the day and I say it’s OK because i Can tried again tomorrow.

I think that’s just a huge achievement to you and it shows how amazing you are  doing just to want to try to find a way to feel organized. Be proud of yourself.

Try to remember baby steps start simple and gradually build up. I hope what is helping for me can help

You and your  honestly already kicking goalsxxxxx

Thanks @Aggie , that’s really helpful to think about how I can make things motivational, like the “ding” your app does! You’re right, even with all the strategies in place it’s still such a struggle. Best wishes to you.

@Bismuth  that’s okay see how it goes and best wishes to you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance