Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self-care - Why can it be so hard?

Hi,

Self care can be hard because we are all so tired, tired of caring, tired of stress, tired of the slings and arrows that life is throwing at us. Stress is tiring and wears out our bodies.

To start your self care cycle, start small, but make it regular! We all need to do things we enjoy and that can 'renew our enthusiasm' for these stressors. An hour or two away from the stress or home scenario- spending time with a friend, going for a walk, sitting in th garden listening to my favourite music. Naps. I am a great advocate of naps and consider them my No 1 self care starter. Its OK to just do nothing, nothing at all, just sit and stare into space but better if its away from the stress environment. When I could  ot escape from the stressful home environement I found listening to podcasts or talk back radio helpful- hearing people talking about something othere than caring and mental health support to be a good refresher.

Eating and sleeping well must be at the top of everyones self-care list as without these our bodies are not being fuelled and rested for any kind functioning or recovery.

We are all different, so it's important to find the thing you like otherwise its just more work. When things were at their worst I had no energy or patience for learning something new or the concentration for the knitting and reading I usually enjoy. Apart from already mentioned I found any of these to be a good revivor/comforter: hot baths, music, dancing to that music, sitting in the sun at the local park, looking at trees and flowers, enjoying a coffee with a friend, phone calls (especially to old friends who had no idea of the dramas), colouring in, watching old Hollywood movies.

Whatever appeals to you, please go for it. If you can't do it for yourself, then do it for your significant others. Being your best self and caring for yourself enables you to provide for them.

XXX

120219598_10224345156595562_8672546263332204374_n.jpg

Yes definitely @Former-Member Thanks for reminder.

I'm doing that right now - while dealing with the most stressful (difficult) Tradesman, I have ever dealt with.

I've already waited about 7 hours for him to come today (as promised) - maybe, just maybe he will still turn up (to finish job).

Adge

Quotes About Having Fun And Relaxing. QuotesGramRelaxation takes effort - it's Self-Care too...

Unreliable tradies = 😵😵😵 @Adge , making a courtesy phone call is not too difficult if there are delays.

Screenshot_20201009-101203.png

122661350_4503948549676427_2482615524414937526_o.jpg

Thank you @Former-Member 

So true but so Easy to forget...

Do something you love today.

10689797_856281987715264_603450905941024350_n.jpg

Hello @Former-Member , @Determined@Adge@myheartache Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance