Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Compassion
New Contributor

Respite on the Mornington Peninsula.

I am wondering if anyone on the forum knows of any 'client respite' that would be available or that anyone knows about.  I am looking here there and almost everywhere, and there seems to be very limited respite specifically tailored to suit clients with a mental illness.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Respite on the Mornington Peninsula.

Hi @Compassion 

Us members are so spread out across Australia - sometimes it's a bit hard to find out information about a specific location 🙂

I'm not sure if I'm leading you in the right direction, but possibly Mind Australia could be a helpful starting point

I hope that helps.

NikNik

@Compassion if you have family in a caring role, i.e partner, or are living with extended family, services can be targeted at providing respite for the family/carer, which might mean that you are the recipient of the activity, in order to provide them with the respite/break.

Have you tried Commonwealth respite and carerlink centres?

http://www9.health.gov.au/ccsd/index.cfm

I mention them first as they are a substantial organisation.

Mind, as Nik Nik said, may also be able to assist.

http://www.mindaustralia.org.au/need-help/mind-services-in-victoria/mind-victoria/family-and-carer-s...

I hope you find what you are searching for.

Carers Victoria might be able to point you in to where respite may be available..are you meaning respite from your family to give yourself a break?
I am not sure if you mean respite from a caring role, or respite from being with carers that may be overwhelming the person with MI?
There have been many cuts this year to what were considered "drop in" services. Drop In was helping many consumers to build friendships with other consumers. Another space may be groups run by AdaVic, Grow or Voices groups..depends on whether your consumer/client identifies strongly with a particular experience of an MI.
This will be one of the areas that the NDIS might need to address..

Dear @Compassion 

Sorry it has taken me a little while to reply to your post. It has been rattling around at the back of my brain because I knew I'd heard of something, but couldn't quite find the connection. Finally it went click this morning!Woman Happy

http://presentationfamilycentre.org.au/about/facilities/

They have houses & cottages on 30 acres, cost $30/night Ph 59831819

I don't honestly know whether they have respite specifically tailored to suit MI sufferers, but I do know the person who told me about it has PTSD and she's been there (on her own) a couple of times and found it incredibly helpful. I hope it is of help to you.

Blessings & gentle journeying.

Kind regards,

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance