Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Plan B for the Christmas period

Hi everyone,

Over the Christmas & New Year period, our loved ones formal supports (Drs, case workers etc) often go on leave or at the very least, closed for public holidays.

Often we can get through these periods, but when loved ones become unwell, it can be hard to know where to seek help. 

So how do you get through this period with your loved one?

Do you & your loved one use your own strategies to manage? 

Do you know of any helpful organisations or places to get support that are available?

For those who have a Plan B for the holiday period, we would love to hear them. For those who don't have a Plan B, here is the place you can ask questions and get yours sorted, so you can have peace of mind over the holiday period.

Nik

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Plan B for the Christmas period

Hi Nik!

Such a great idea I have put together some helpline numbers that are available over the christmas break to start with:

Lifeline 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Line 1800 659 467
Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
WIRE womens helpline 1300 134 130 (closed between christmas and new years)
Mensline 1300 78 99 78
KidsHelpline 1800 55 1800
1800 RESPECT 1800 737 732

Lunar 🙂

Hi @Shaz51

Do you have any support plans for your husband in place just in case?

Nik

Hello @NikNik, @Lunar, @Shimmer

Do you have any support plans for your husband in place just in case? -- no not really @NikNik

love to hear some ideas , we mostly use what he finds that is relaxing , even thnking of taking sleeping tablets tonight

what about you @MadameMeow, @Former-Member, @Appleblossom, @PeppiPatty

Hi all! I'm really new to this role of supporting my husband so am eager to hear others ideas. My plan is to try and get him out doing things he loves so long as he's up for it. We are taking a mini holiday at a family holiday home so I'm hoping that will be a healing for him. I think trying to make sure he eats well and exercises is also my plan. Keen to hear other ideas? Xx

Hi @MadameMeow,

Those are great ideas! Good on you for joining the Forums to explore even more!

I hope you find connecting with the wonderful people here helpful Smiley Happy

I look forward to 'seeing' more of you around!

Take care,

Shimmer

Hello @MadameMeow xx

how is things going now my friend ??

how long is your holiday xx

we are taking 2 weeks holidays trying to get my hubby to do some of the things he likes

Hi @Shaz51,
How are you both going?
Things were going better until the last few days when my husband encountered some really tough times at work. I literally had to pick him off the shower floor last night and put him to bed. I slept on the couch with my baby so we wouldn't wake him during feeds.

Our holiday is only a few days but I'm hoping it will be enough to lift his spirits. He's on a low dose of antidepressants now so I'm hoping to see some improvements with them too. It's been two weeks since he started those.

Hello @MadameMeow xx

I see you that He's on a low dose of antidepressants now so I'm hoping to see some improvements with them too. It's been two weeks since he started those.

antidepressants usual takes up to 6 weeks to start working , it takes time and then things will change , if there are working you will notice a difference

there will still be ups and downs but will improve my friend xx

My hubby was on just antidepressants but they never seem to work until he ws put on anti anxiety meds as well

Hello @NikNik, @MadameMeow, @Shimmer, @Lunar

my Hubby is using  his own strategies to manage? 

I am using my  own strategies to manage? ,

1) trying to make this week as stress free for hubby so he can cope

2) to be ready for something to happen on the day  and having to ring up and say we are not coming

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance