Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

perspective
Senior Contributor

Over 50

Hi all , 

im not sure whether I’m allowed to ask this 

I wanted to hear from people on here that are 50 plus. I want to know what your journey has been like, how you’ve coped, really anything you like. My life is still difficult with this illness and I have settled for a rather non aspirational existence. I encounter stigma , I’m disillusioned with what the mental health system has offered me. 
Hopefully I can write more tomorrow 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Over 50

@perspective I am older 62 and seen and experienced a range of mental health related things. 

First off I like your profile name.  

Let the mental health system be a basics only.  Dont let them determine everything.  I know its difficult to fully trust oneself with complex mental health problems, but try and find some way to broaden your life so that it feel worthwhile and meaningful to YOU. Hope I dont get in trouble for saying this.

Take Care

Apple

tyme
Community Lead

Hey @perspective ,

The medical world may offer a lot. It is up to you to see what works and doesn't work. From experience, I've had to work this out on my own. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd also be disillusioned.

I hear you,

tyme

Hello @perspective , I am turning 58 this year 

I think it is one day at a time 

Keep on keeping on my friend 

@Appleblossom , @tyme 

hanami
Senior Contributor

Hey @perspective 

I'm 52, turning 53 in August. I have struggled big time with hormone changes during this age (stay tuned for more on that, hopefully in an upcoming post). I've always had anxiety but it went into overdrive when I reached my late 40s and I've changed meds several times trying to get things 'right'. My husband is the same age and just takes each day as it comes, despite the aches and pains that come with getting older. Meanwhile I do EVERYTHING lifestyle-wise to help stay well - I exercise, eat well, go to bed early-ish, don't drink. But I'm the one struggling lol. Ah....My mum is 73 and is super fit and she tells me you just have to learn acceptance as you get older, especially with my anxiety. But easier said than done. I'm here with you and all the other over 50s forumites. 

I do get a lot out of things like journalling, drawing, walking in nature, hanging with my kids and dogs.  I probably need to do those lists of things I'm grateful for...I know lots of people say that help. Anyways I'll stop waffling for now. 

hugs 

hanami 💮

Ohh hugs @hanami xxx

@perspective , @tyme , @Appleblossom , @Rhye 

Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope 

Has some great ideas and you can add much more to the list 

hanami
Senior Contributor

Oh, thank you @Shaz51 

Yeah I go through ups and downs and really believe my hormones play a huge role. Being a woman is the gift that keeps on giving lol. I need to check out that link that you posted. thank you my friend! 

💮

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance