Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

naebell
New Contributor

Newie saying hi

Hi all, just signed up so thought I'd introduce myself. I'm rene'e and a carer for my fiancée who has mental illness. He recently had a relapse and self harmed again. I'm kind of lost so thought I'd reach out
Thanks 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Newie saying hi

Hi @naebell

A very warm welcome to Sane. Sorry to read of the struggle you and your fiancé are dealing with. It is very hard to watch as a carer as that feeling of helplessness wells up. I went through this myself whilst caring for my daughter whom was diagnosed with bi-polar and BPD at that time. It's hard and heart wrenching to witness them self destructing being not sure what to do. Sending you a warm hug 🤗 

Is your fiancé currently under the support of a medical professional for treatment/counselling? If you are at all concerned please do not hesitate to ring the mental health crisis team or local hospital in your area.

If you need additional help and guidance there is Carers Australia and Mental Health Carers Australia which you can google for contact details and links.

Please feel free to talk here as much as you need as others whom also care for partners/loved ones with MI with join in soon. 

Hi @naebell and welcome

It is good to see you reach out for support like this. Do you have family or friends who can support you through this as well? Having a support network around you is super important especialy in times of crisis. You will find everyone here very friendly and supportive. 

I care for my wife who lives with borderline personality disorder (BPD) who late last year had a relapse and has really been struggling since. We also have 3 children aged 2, 10 & 12.  

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

All the best 

Hi @naebell I am a newbie too! I have a mental illness and am a carer as well. Welcome to the boards. Everyone is really nice and kind here so I am sure you will have no troubling settling right in. Welcome!

Former-Member
Not applicable

@naebell
How are you going?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance