Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

nyxsong
Contributor

Music and Sanity

It seems that music is a common treatment for what ailes ya. So it thought it would be nice to hear about the kind of music you listen to in order to get you through the rough times.

A challenge to the SANE forum community, name a genre, a band (or artist) and an exception to your normal musical tastes that help you just chilax.

For me often it is indie rock/pop that I fall back on in times of stress. Of Monsters and Men are amaxing and still change me to mellow when I listen to them. I attended their concert at the Palais and I still think of it a lot! I tend to like neo punk, progressive metal and barouqe as well, yeah I am eclectic!

For me a genre I seldom listen to is country but I have one or two songs I listen to regularly and a certain Johnny Cash song is on a playlist that is on an almost constant loop!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Music and Sanity

Challenge accepted!

Genre: Pop - mostly listened to in the car when I need a good singalong.... and I'm talking any pop...give me 90s pop & I'm in my element (probably something I shouldn't be proud of!!)

But when I need to relax (whether that's to work or just to take my mind off things) I'm into the indie/pop style as well.... Jack Johnson... and anything that makes me feel like I'm sitting at the beach on a warm summers day! 🙂

In terms of a genre I seldom listen to, Reggae would have to be it. I think it fits into the whole beach thing above - but in particular Bob Marley's 3 Little Birds is always on my playlist 🙂

I was just thinking today how vital music is to my well being because it can change my mood and divert my attention to a better space.
Gracelands by Paul Simon, I feel so happy when he sings "we are travelling to Gracelands ...I have reason to believe we all will be received at Gracelands..., and Toni Child's "stop your fussing boy" ...I wonder if we could compile a list of our favourite songs for when we want to embrace certain moods...
Somewhere I read if you want to change an environment, first change the mood. Music is a mood changer😄

@Alessandra1992 wrote:
I was just thinking today how vital music is to my well being because it can change my mood and divert my attention to a better space.
Gracelands by Paul Simon, I feel so happy when he sings "we are travelling to Gracelands ...I have reason to believe we all will be received at Gracelands..., and Toni Child's "stop your fussing boy" ...I wonder if we could compile a list of our favourite songs for when we want to embrace certain moods...
Somewhere I read if you want to change an environment, first change the mood. Music is a mood changer😄

Not a bad idea about compiling a list, if only because it helps cement it in your own mind. On the down side it will require me to think and that is not going to be a strong point for me today.

I saw the word CHALLENGE......so it's GAME ON!

I would have to say that my most favourite band would be The Beatles. Not only is it the music, it is the era, the clothing (I just happen to be wearing a paisley shirt lol), the political feeling around the world (positive and negative), for me there were so many aspects of Western culture with The Beatles as the nucleus that shaped my life and they continue to do so!

In the last few months I have been fortunate enough to see The Beatles Back To Back, The White Album and John Waters Looking Through a Glass Onion Concerts at a well known location LOL! Amazing experiences that blew me away.

NOW for an artist I like to relax to. That's a toughie but I would have to say that lately I have been chilling out to Daft Punk. I have a great pair of Sennheiser Headphones so I can be anywhere at any time listening and it's my lil secret LOL.

A genre that I would rarely listen to as a stand alone would be classical, but thinking about the amount of classical pieces that are used in so many movies (I like movies) I have been challenging myself to give it a go..........with mixed results I must say hehehehehehe. It's not that I don't enjoy it but sometimes for me personally it is just too overwhelming and my circuit breaker trips.

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

Harry

There is so much music..I love it and I go through phases of listening to particular artists. I try to stay a it up to date listening to Mix FM and JJJ but I often end up back on Creedance Clearater Revival,then jump over to Rodrigues Cold Fact, then back to Antony and the Johnsons.
I also love listening to Guitar..flamenco, classical...and swapping tunes with pals..get to learn a few newbies that way or I would get stuck in a rut of the 1970-1990s.

So maybe we could start a list

Rock operas? all time favourite War of the Worlds, Jeff Lynne.
Albums.dark side of the Moon and wish you were here
One hit wonders.. January by pilot
World Music
New wave
Punk
Electro
Rave
House
Acid jazz
Jazz
Blues

This could turn Ito a quiz..what is your favourite genre?
More genres please!

Alessandra as a side note are you listening to Double J? All the awesome of its big sister but for adukts!

Where do I find Double J on the dial? I swear I spend my life listening to mix and smooth and gold, JJJ and 3cr don't get anywhere near as much airtime as I would like (problem with sharing your car with passengers :))

Wow sorry for the really really late reply. I do not posses an actual pysical radio, but they do have a website that streams their station plus it is on digital set top boxes and digital radio

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance