Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

kristin
Senior Contributor

Mindfulness

Hi all,

I have just been looking at the carer's forum a bit more closely, in particular the discussion topics as CB suggested. I think this 

http://saneforums.org/t5/Special-Events/Topic-Tuesday-2-Mindfulness-Psychologist-CLOSED/td-p/1651/pa...

in particular might be helpful fo rus too. Even learning a little bit of mindfulness can make a really significant difference over time to being able to manage one's own triggers (and I am no master at mindfulness, let me tell you!)

Has anyone else used mindfulness, or if so found it helpful?

Best regards,

Kristin

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Mindfulness

Hi Kristen,

Yes I am aware of mindfulness and whenever I get a prompt or a reminder (like your post) I am reminded of useful it is for me.  What I find difficult is for it to be a habit in my routine rather than something I rember every now and then.

It is an important strategy for me to quieten the loud negative monkey chatter - that is to acknowledge they are there withoutletting them take prominance, taking time to be in the moment, breath - kind of a simplified meditation I guess ........ (visualising the monkeys with socks in their month also helps but I do not think that is part of the mindfulness strategy)

A friend lent me a book once that had a CD included but sorry I can not remember the name of it

Hiya Crystal,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forums, as I have not yet had a chance to yet.

I love your profile pic, it looks like a moment where you were mindful and aware. 

You mentioned in another one of your posts that you enjoy photography. I enjoy it as well, and find it a great way to practice mindfulness - To stop and take notice of your surroundings, and to enjoy beauty that you would not otherwise see in our typically busy lives. 

I too beleive that mindfulnesshas enabled me to be aware of the triggers that put me in a vulnerable state of mind . They tend to happen at predictable times of the year - mother's day, my mother's birthday and Christmas.

If my physical health is compromised or I do not have adequate sleep or I am stressed I am vulnerable too. 

I was diagnosed with type I Bipolar Disorder some 19 years ago and it was not until I accepted the diagnosis and became compliant with medication and my Psychiatrist's advise that I stabilised. 

Mindfulness is so important for me. I can't begin to manage my emotions, thinking, speech, and behaviour if I'm not first of all aware of it. Being impulsive can be a scary thing! And the results can be really bad sometimes, which feeds back into uncertainty and anxiety. 

It's only through mindfulness and a deep consideration of my own needs and values that I'm able to cope! 

I've just started on the mindfulness journey. My psychologist prescribed it for me. I've always found it hard to live in the moment.

Too early to tell whether it's going to work for me. I tried meditation a couple of years ago.I found it really unhelpful: it just made me feel lethargic and down.

Mindfulness, meditation, sati, and the flippy-dippy-Hippy

Hi kristin,

Its an open secret that mindfulness as a practice comes from Hinduism and Buddhism.  Mindfulness as therapy or stress-relief is a relatively new idea in psychology.

Don't get me wrong, here.  If it works for folk, makes life a little less stressful and crazy, then I don't care what its called.

To practise mindfulness there's no need to become a Hindu or Buddhist, or wear tie-dye, or indulge in recreational substances.  I mean that whole dern long-haired hippy thing is sooooo '60s.

Sati is a term that has been translated as 'mindfulness'.  You can look it up in wikipedia under "Sati (Buddhism)".

Meditation and mindfulness go together.  Don't ask me how, it gets complicated.  People more articulate than I have explained it.

Far out, man, its like, mind-blowing.

Re: Mindfulness, meditation, sati, and the flippy-dippy-Hippy

Oh living in the moment.....our lives are a bunch of moments....once gone gone forever, the remember the good old days stuff. Much easier to do so now I am out of hideously stressful work situations, where I would have survived IF I had practiced it.....so tickety boo

Re: Mindfulness, meditation, sati, and the flippy-dippy-Hippy

I think mindfulness doesn't have to be full on meditation....  It can see a simple as stepping back and being aware of what you are feeling and how that affects you and others. 

I think of it like a battery, meditation charges me up with mindfulness.

The Buddha used the metaphor of pool in a river.  Water flows in, makes currents and brings silt.  You let the currents slow down and the silt settles.  The mind becomes clear and less troubled.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance