Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

anita66
New Contributor

Meditation techniques and guides

Hi everyone. I'm learning about meditation, and techniques, guides, that are helpful.  If any one would be able to drop me a few links to the current meditation technique they are using, I would be grateful.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Meditation techniques and guides

Hi @anita66 ,

I love the Aura site. It gives so many different options on one site. It has meditation, life-coaching, affirmations and music. I pay $5 per month and it is truly worth it. I'm sorry I don't know how to add links on here yet but if you google free meditation sites you will find quite a few. I just felt Aura was the one for me. I just thought it best for you to also see what else is available. I'm not sure if there are any free sites as I thought Aura was until a contribution was requested. You get asked for what you can afford. I do think it's worth it. Other sites give trials and some are more pricey. I couldn't really afford to much but what I have got from the site can't really be put into monetary value. I wish you luck. 

Hi @Paulette @anita66 ,

For me, I find The Smiling Mind app the most helpful - and it's free 🙂

Hi @anita66   Buddhify is a free meditation app suggested by my psychologist. I find it really lovely. I also practice meditation and mindfulness through the teachings of Thich Nhat Hahn. Very comforting. For non guided meditation, I simply follow the in and out breath through the nose, the basis to all meditation techniques. I like to mix things up between breathwork and guided. Both very effective. Enjoy 🙏

Hi Anita66,

I find ‘Insight Timer’ is fantastic with the different types of meditations, and you can filter by length depending on how much time you’d like to meditate for.

Hey @anita66 , 

I believe the above message was for you 🙂

@anon57932 , welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing what you find helpful. A quick note: for members to receive a notification of your post, you type "@" in front of their name - like this @tyme @anon57932 @anita66 

Look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

Hi.  I find that if I am doing daily meditation then I am a lot better mentally.  When I stop doing it the wheels fall off.  i don't use a website or app for my meditation.  I often go to a local Tibetan Buddhist Centre and take a meditation class from one of the nuns there.  At home I have a little corner with a mat, meditation cushion, and a box that I have made into a little altar.  It has a painting of Tara, a candle, and a framed photo of the Tibetan teacher at the Centre I go to.  I sit cross legged and put the timer on my phone.  Sometimes I focus on my breath.  Sometimes on sounds I can hear.  Sometimes I focus on the painting of Tara or the photo of the teacher.  I have beads too and sometimes I use them like rosary beads - saying a mantra for each bead and working my way around the whole set.  My favourite is the simple Om mani padme hum.

Hi @anita66

I second Smiling Mind! It's great for MH+meditation.

I found from a blog and tried these and found to be good in the mix - Insighttimer (within this they have a range of techniques to try) and Plum Village. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance