Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Med review update - two to five years after FEP?

So I had my med review today - apparently it gives the best result for first episode psychosis (FEP) if you're on meds for two to five years after your psychosis???  Has anyone else been told this, or know what review concluded this?  Just a little tired and emotional today. More meds for at least another 6 months for me.  I may or may not transition away from hospital care, to boot, as I can't afford a private psychiatrist.

In happier news, I wrote a consumer's guide to Mental Health Unit life - ranging from the dead obvious (treat the staff well and they can make your stay more pleasant) to the practical (you can keep a stash of up to four towels at once). I also made a list of all the roles of people I came across in the MHU - peer workers, occupational therapists, drug and alcohol counsellors - some of them are what they say on the tin, but some of them are obscure.  A peer worker discussed my guide with some people who are currently in the MHU and they were stoked that I was thinking of them. They came up with some more stuff to put into the guide and apparently it made for a really good conversation starter.  It's not about cheating your way out of the MHU but about how to live in there and work towards your discharge.  The peer worker is thinking of turning it into an orientation lesson to run in the MHU every two weeks, which is exciting!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Med review update - two to five years after FEP?

I'm impressed re the consumer's guide to Mental Health Unit life @Gwynn 

That will help a lot of people.

Re: Med review update - two to five years after FEP?

Thanks, @frog 🙂 I'm a little amazed that they let it through with only a few tweaks, and that it only took a couple of weeks from when I wrote it to having it trialled in front of people in the MHU. It's only four A4 pages long, but the supervised conversations it starts will be the main thing, I think.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance