Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

outlander
Community Guide

Looking for some advice on a job interview and job roles

Hi everyone

i have a job interview tomorrow but im not really sure if id like to do this job. 

im trying to get abit more experience in the workforce and start building a career after being a carer for 7 years but im not sure this job is really right for me. 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Looking for some advice on a job interview and job roles

hey @outlander
its good to see you as always

i guess this prompts the question - what made you apply for it?

Was it just experience you were after? Just to add to your CV? Or was it more than that?

either way good luck if you don't see this before your interview tomorrow

I'm sure you'll be fine

Hi Outlander 🙂 

I can relate to (what I read as) the conflict that occurs in the mind when looking at employment - do we choose what we are passionate about? Do we choose something that will simply put money in the bank? Is it possible to find both? I have often become stuck in one or either of those extremes and have only recently found a job that does both in peer work, myself.

If it were me in your position, I would ask myself the following - what am I looking to get out of this job? Why do I feel like it is right / not right for me? Will it enhance the quality of my life, or take away from it and how/why? Am I doing this because I want to and I believe it's good for me, or am I doing it because an idea (internal or external, or both) is leading me to feel obligated to do it?

Sometimes (and sometimes, often) we only find these things out by dipping our toes in the water and learning by doing - other times, it is wiser to carefully consider our options. You are worthy of stability and success - whatever you choose to do, good luck 🙂

Hi @outlander . Smiley Happy

I think I understand your apprehension. From what I've been told (and it may be very unreliable information as it came from unreliable sources), career paths are very tricky and counter-intuitive. For example, if you want to work in entertainment, apparently you have to first get a job in the food industry. Smiley Frustrated, ect., ect.

I've always struggled with it, myself, so I'm afraid I don't have any helpful advice to offer.

Do you trust whoever set you up with this job? If not, do you have anyone you really do trust who might be able to sort this out for you?

The productivity commission's mental health inquiry developed a reccommendation for the government to adopt a “Individual Placement and Support” employment system, meaning that citizens get assigned to the best job for them, not just in terms of the job's tasks, but also considdering all the other factors that define the job. As I understand it, it's a shift away from: "Just give them a means of getting a paycheck, it doesn't matter what the job actually is", to: "Let's find out who this person really is, then assign them the job that we can reasonably determine will give them the most happiness."

I don't know how far along we are in terms of seeing that reccommendation actually being enacted by the government. It mightn't be very far along at all. So, for now, you might just have to rely on friends/acquaintances to help you get the best possible job that suits you.

Still, at least there's hope for the future, right?Smiley Happy

In any event, I hope that however tomorrow plays out, you are happy with the outcome. Smiley Happy

Hi @outlander , this is exciting...

I wonder if you can look at it as you interviewing them about the job, not just them interviewing you? So you can just have a chat about the job and what it entails, to see if it's right for you?

Good luck with clarity of thought about the job, whether you want it or not...

Good Luck with the job interview @outlander 

Whether or not you get it, make it a learning experience.  A way of finding out about the position, the company or organisation and the whole experience.

love 

Apple

I was a dementia carer for 4 years, and went back into the workforce after mother passed away. Got good job now at airport. Good luck with interview.

Thanks @Owen45 glad you like your job too. thats always a bonus

i only applied cause i need the money really @MDT having chronic medical conditions especially the rare one i was jsut diagnosed with is so expensive and i jsut cant afford it with the pay im on.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance